The Truth about Black Friday Sales
Last Update: 10/1/2018
The truth about Black Friday? Black Friday has morphed into Black November, and retailers - both traditional and online, begin running their Black Friday deals on November 1st. That’s right - as soon as you finally hit the bed after a fright filled night of collecting candy from your neighbors, retailers are gearing up to relieve you of your holiday shopping budgets. With dilution of the term Black Friday, the best sales are saved for the day itself.
Be sure to look at our Black Friday Ad Scans and Deals Page
Questioning Black Friday
Still, many shoppers assume every Black Friday deal is awesome; but is the listed merchandise truly a hot deal?
- Should you wake up early and battle the throngs of consumers standing in line at your favorite store?
- Are these sales really limited time deals, or can better pricing be had at other times?
To answer these questions, we dug deep into last year’s Black Friday deals to see if the deals were really as good as advertised.
- For instance, was there a deal offered later in the year that beat Black Friday’s pricing?
- Is there a reason to give into the hype?
Many retailers “recycle” Black Friday ads and do not change deal pricing on some products from year to year. While this might make sense if their inventory levels are high, consumers have come to expect deeper discounts each year on a wider variety of products new and old.
In fact, the opposite is true - a recent study found that 90% of stores had Black Friday “doorbuster” deals that existed the previous last year. The same study found retailers would often try to trick consumers on Black Friday with knockoff deals from no names, shady rebate offers, and misleading original prices. The upshot? Use a website like BuyVia to compare prices before shopping - a little homework can really pay off in the end.
Where did the Doorbuster come from?
The doorbuster is a limited time super cheap deal designed get shoppers into the store. They are often available early in the morning and sell out almost immediately. More organized stores hand out vouchers to those in line to prevent mass hysteria from occurring from when the doors open up.
Doorbusters have been around far longer Black Friday. These "loss leaders" first appeared in an ad in August 1917 for Killian's Department store, Cedar Rapids, Iowa as: "Wednesday's 8 o'clock doorbusters"
A bargain item was sold at a tiny fraction of its regular price. This brought in crowds long before the store had opened its doors. Other stores in Iowa continued this tradition throughout the 1920's.
Some Black Friday Deal examples from 2017:
This model will work with the new upgraded operating system.
Apple Sports Watch 3 Includes:
- Brand New Apple Watch (Please Choose Color Desired When Making Purchase)
- Many different colors
- Magnetic Charging Cable
- Sport Band
- watchOS 5
Posted: March 17, 2019 7:40 AM PDT
End of season. Dicks Sporting Goods has a 50% off The North Face Men's Harway Insulated Jacket and more Sale, $49.50 Free Shipping, free returns. Expires: 3/19/2019
North Face Nuptse Jacket $124.50 Free Shipping ($249)
North Face Alpz Down Vest $49.50 Free Shipping ($99)
- Heatseeker™ insulation ensures warmth
- Exposed, reverse-coil zip front closure
- Stand-up collar offers extra protection
- Covered hand-warming pockets
- Embroidered logos
- Center Back Length: 27.5’’
Posted: March 17, 2019 12:00 AM PDT
Reebok Friends & Family 30% off Sitewide & Extra 50% off Sale items with Promo Code: FAM Expires: 3/18/2019. Certain exclusions apply. Shipping is free, free with Rewards Account (Free to join). Tax in most states. Exclusions apply
- Reebok Crossfit Nano Mens $54.99 after coupon ($130) Free Shipping
- Reebok PT Prime Runner FC Men's $39.97 - Code = $20 Free Shipping.
Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: March 16, 2019 5:00 PM PDT
Free 1 Year Sprint Unlimited When You Bring Your Device Expires: 3/31/2019
Save over $800 in the first year!
SIM card costs $2.99 plus $10 shipping.
- Get Unlimited data, talk & text free for 1 year
- Keep your phone and phone number
- No annual contracts, no activation fees - a $30 savings!
- Works with most iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones
- Their network has significantly improved over the last year
Savings until 1/31/20; then $60/mo. for line 1, $40/mo for line 2 and $20/mo/line for lines 3-5. Reqs. AutoPay (discount applied w/in 2 invoices), new account, bring your own eligible device & Sprint SIM card. Savings claim compared to AT&T Unlimited & More and Verizon Go Unlimited rate plans for 1 line; features differ. Video streams up to 480p, music up to 500 Kbps, gaming up to 2 Mbps. Data deprioritization during congestion. Other monthly charges apply.**Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: March 15, 2019 12:00 AM PDT
Burger King has a new round of Burger King Buy 1 Get 1 Free Coupons - January 2019. Expires: 3/24/2019.
New Coupons including:
- Free Whopper Sandwich with purchase of one (BOGO) Code: 6172 Expires 3/24/2019
- $8.99 for 2 Whopper Sandwiches, 2 Soft drinks & 2 Small Fries Code: 8971 Exp 3/24/19
Download our free Food Coupons App for iOS and Android - To Save money with Food wherever YOU are.
Coupons are valid at participating locations. Please mention coupon before ordering. Not valid with any other promotion. Coupons Not Valid in PR, AK, & HI or outside US.Posted: March 12, 2019 12:01 AM PDT
We look back at last year to see what was in sale. Why? Because this year, we should see similar types of promotions.
Apple Black Friday Deals
Apple had these promotions:
- Up to $50 Apple Gift Card when you order iPhone
- Up to $100 Apple Gift Card when you buy selected iPad models
- $25 Apple Gift Card for Apple Watch purchase
- $150 Apple Gift Card for select Mac computers
- $25 Apple Gift Card for Apple TV purchase
Apple offered similar promotions the previous year, but at least increased the iPad gift card amount. The Apple deals at other stores including Best Buy, Target, etc where far superior to the Apple Store.
So - one would think the best strategy for Apple products is to ditch the Apple store in favor of major retailers? Maybe, but better deals showed up just 14 days after Black Friday - with deeper discounts and zero sales tax. And finally, Apple did not even offer a sale on CyberMonday.
Gap Black Friday Sales
Gap has a “50% off Everything” sale. The later had many other sales of the type Save up to 50% off plus an extra 40% off. These were better on the select sale items, but the 50% off was a lot better on general merchandise.
Black Friday Laptop Deals
Black Friday is a great time to buy a new laptop. Most of the deals were on lower end, budget notebooks. Here were the top items on sale then.
Dell Home Doorbusters - 11/23/17 Thursday 11am ET
- Inspiron 15 3000 Notebook Celeron 4GB/500GB $199.99 ($299.99) Free Shipping
Dell Small Business Doorbusters - 11/23/17 Thursday 11am EST
- Inspiron 15 3000 Notebook Celeron 4GB/500GB 1 Year ProSupport $199.99 ($299.99)
Dell Home Doorbusters - 11/23/17 Thursday 6pm ET
- Inspiron 14 3000 Notebook Celeron 2GB/32GB Windows 10 $129.99 ($249.99) Free Shipping
Dell Home Doorbusters - 11/23/17 Thursday 9pm ET
- Inspiron 11 3000 2 in 1 Core M3 4GB/1TB Windows 10 $299.99 ($599.99) Free Shipping
Dell Home Doorbusters - 11/24/17 Friday 8am ET
- Inspiron 15 3000 Notebook Core i3 4GB/1TB $299.99 ($429.99) Free Shipping
Dell Small Business Doorbusters - 11/24/17 Friday 8am EST
- Inspiron 15 3000 Notebook Core i3 4GB/1TB 1 Year ProSupport $334.99 ($489.99)
Black Friday Video Game Deals
These deals can be of good value, if and only if you like the bundled games. The prices of these holiday bundles held steady, probably due to minimum advertised pricing restrictions. On the other hand, there are plenty of video games on sale, making this a great time to buy software.
- Playstation 4 PS4 1TB Slim Gaming System $199 ($300)
- Best deal: PS4 1TB System $199 free shipping ($300) plus Free $50 Gamestop Gift Card!
Xbox One S
- Xbox One S 500GB Console + Free Game and 1-Month Game Pass $189 Free shipping ($249)
- Xbox One S 500GB System $189 free shipping ($280)
- Xbox 360 Original model Pre-owned Free After rebate. Thursday-Friday.
Black Friday HDTV Deals
TVs are always a bright spot for Black Friday. Some of the best deals can be had then.
- Sold out: TCL 40-inch smart TV, only $249.99 free shipping ($290)
- Sold out: TCL 49-inch smart TV, only $349.99 free shipping ($480)
- Sold out: TCL 55-inch smart TV, only $379.99 free shipping ($600)
Best Buy Doorbuster
- In store only: Sharp - 50" Class (49.5" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV Roku TV - LC-50LBU591U $179.99 ($500)
- In store only: Toshiba- 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV Chromecast - 55L711U18 $279.99 ($500)
Black Friday Smartphone Deals
Everyone wants a better phone, Black Friday is a great time to upgrade.
- Save $350 on Samsung Note 8, S8, S8+ with activation.
- Samsung S8 64GB Verizon $15.41/month for 24 months (Regular $30/month)
- Samsung S8+ 64GB Verizon $19.41/month for 24 months (Regular $34/month)
- In store: iPhone 8 and 8 Plus Free $250 Gift Card with qualified activation - AT&T, Sprint, Verizon
Black Friday is No Longer the Best Sale of the Year
As we have shown, similar or better deals can be had throughout the year. So what’s the point of Black Friday?
We at BuyVia still believe Black Friday can save you money - but you have to set your expectations. If you expect to find the lowest possible price of the year on your favorite items, you are in for a disappointment. But if you are looking for good deals on your holiday list, Black Friday is still a great way to save money.
If you are looking for the best possible price on specific items, do your research. Often web based retailers will trump their retail competition because they pass the decreased cost of overhead onto their consumers. For the best possible deals, sign up here to receive personal deal alerts from Buyvia.
Do you have a comment or a different experience with Black Friday?
Tags: black friday