The Truth about Black Friday Sales
Last Update: 10/1/2018
The truth about Black Friday? Black Friday has morphed into Black November, and retailers - both traditional and online, begin running their Black Friday deals on November 1st. That’s right - as soon as you finally hit the bed after a fright filled night of collecting candy from your neighbors, retailers are gearing up to relieve you of your holiday shopping budgets. With dilution of the term Black Friday, the best sales are saved for the day itself.
Be sure to look at our Black Friday Ad Scans and Deals Page
Questioning Black Friday
Still, many shoppers assume every Black Friday deal is awesome; but is the listed merchandise truly a hot deal?
- Should you wake up early and battle the throngs of consumers standing in line at your favorite store?
- Are these sales really limited time deals, or can better pricing be had at other times?
To answer these questions, we dug deep into last year’s Black Friday deals to see if the deals were really as good as advertised.
- For instance, was there a deal offered later in the year that beat Black Friday’s pricing?
- Is there a reason to give into the hype?
Many retailers “recycle” Black Friday ads and do not change deal pricing on some products from year to year. While this might make sense if their inventory levels are high, consumers have come to expect deeper discounts each year on a wider variety of products new and old.
In fact, the opposite is true - a recent study found that 90% of stores had Black Friday “doorbuster” deals that existed the previous last year. The same study found retailers would often try to trick consumers on Black Friday with knockoff deals from no names, shady rebate offers, and misleading original prices. The upshot? Use a website like BuyVia to compare prices before shopping - a little homework can really pay off in the end.
Where did the Doorbuster come from?
The doorbuster is a limited time super cheap deal designed get shoppers into the store. They are often available early in the morning and sell out almost immediately. More organized stores hand out vouchers to those in line to prevent mass hysteria from occurring from when the doors open up.
Doorbusters have been around far longer Black Friday. These "loss leaders" first appeared in an ad in August 1917 for Killian's Department store, Cedar Rapids, Iowa as: "Wednesday's 8 o'clock doorbusters"
A bargain item was sold at a tiny fraction of its regular price. This brought in crowds long before the store had opened its doors. Other stores in Iowa continued this tradition throughout the 1920's.
Some Black Friday Deal examples from 2017:
Walgreens Photo Free 8x10 Photo Print with Coupon code: SPOOKY8X10 Expires: 10/31/2020 or while supplies last. Regular price $3.99. Free in-store pickup. Tax in most states.
- Apply the Coupon at the Checkout Screen
- May also work in their App
This promotion happens roughly every month. Just in time!
After you click Upload (bottom right corner), there is an "Upload Preferences" option. Here you can change the resolution from the default "Standard Resolution" to "Full Resolution".
Limit 1 per accountPromo Code: SPOOKY8X10
Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: October 31, 2020 1:42 PM PDT
Chipotle Buy One, Get One Free on Any Entree Today, October 31, 2020 when you Text PUMPKIN to 888222.
Here is how to maximize your Chipotle experience for FREE:
1) Order a Bowl. Ask for 2 tortillas on the side
2) Get both kinds of Rice
3) Get both kinds of Beans
4) Order 1/2 of 1 meat, 1/2 of a different meat
5) Get Fajita Vegetables and Corn
Promotion is limited to ten free menu items per check, and is subject to availability. Each free item requires purchase of an entrée item (including a kid's meal) of equal or greater value and may be collected only by the jersey-wearing customer. Valid only on February 21st, 2020. Redeemable in-restaurant only, at participating U.S. Chipotle and Canada locations; not valid for catering, mobile, online or delivery orders. Purchased entrées/kid's meals are eligible for Chipotle Rewards points; the promotion may not otherwise be combined with other coupons, promotions or special offers. Additional restrictions may apply; void where prohibited
This coupon is also in the BuyVia Mobile Shopping App
Posted: October 31, 2020 7:55 AM PDT
1 Day Only: Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote - Streaming Media Player Sale $29.99 + Free Shipping
Prime Day price for everyone! Amazon has the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote - Streaming Media Player Sale Priced at $29.99. Free Shipping. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars. Regular $50.
Don’t need 4K?
FireTV Stick Lite $17.99 ($29.99)
- The next generation of our bestselling Fire TV Stick. The most powerful with the fastest Wi-Fi and most accurate voice search of any streaming media stick–now with the Alexa Voice Remote.
Competitor to Chromecast and Roku Streaming Stick. Has 2x memory and 4x storage of either. Includes standard remote and built-in WiFi. Now includes Fire Voice Remote supports voice commands (voice remote was previously not included).
Editor's Note: We have one and find it works well. However, for best connectivity to your WiFi network, you will likely need to plug in the microUSB cable for additional power.Sales tax in: All Except AK, DE, MT, NH, OR
Posted: October 31, 2020 7:01 AM PDT
Target Black Friday Now Preview Sale with Free Shipping on orders of $35+ or free in-store pick up. Shop early for best selection! Extra 5% off for Red Card. Expires: 10/31/2020
New Black Friday Priced items each week, Now through November. Next batch of items start Sunday November 1, 2020.
Today the focus is on:
- Amazon Connected Home
- Headphones & Speakers
- TVs & Accessories
- Samsung 55" Smart QLED 4K HDR UHD TV Q60T Series (Titan Gray) $599.99 Free Shipping ($699.99)
- LG 55 NanoCell 81 Series 4K UHD Smart TV $499.99 Free Shipping ($699.99) Free PL5 Portable speaker offer
- New Powerbeats Wireless Earphones $129.99 Free Shipping ($149.99)
- Bose SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones $159.99 Free Shipping ($229)
- Fire TV Stick 4K $29.99 ($49.99)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 Tablet - 8" Display - 32GB Storage (2019) $99.99 Free Shipping ($139.99)
- Bose SoundLink Color Wireless Bluetooth Speaker II $79.99 Free Shipping ($129.99)
- Samsung 2.0Ch Soundbar with Built-in Woofer $129.99 Free Shipping ($179.99)
Posted: October 31, 2020 6:10 AM PDT
1 Day Only: Echo Show 5 – Compact smart display with Alexa Plus Blink Camera Sale $49.99 + Free Shipping
Big Price drop. Amazon has a Echo Show 5 – Compact smart display with Alexa Plus Blink Camera Sale, $49.99 Free Shipping. Expires: 10/31/2020 - Highly Rated at 4.5 out of 5 stars. In Charcoal or Sandstone.
- Compact 5.5" smart display with Alexa ready to help
- Manage calendar, make to-do lists, get weather and traffic updates, cook along with recipes.
- Watch movies, news, and TV shows. Listen to songs, radio stations, and audiobooks.
- Voice control compatible devices or manage them using the display.
- Voice or video call friends and family with compatible Echo devices, Alexa app, or Skype.
Posted: October 31, 2020 6:01 AM PDT
New. Target Extra 25% off 1 Toy, Kids Book or Craft Activity Item via Target Circle (Free to join) - Valid in store and online. Expires: 10/31/2020 - Free Shipping with no Minimum plus Save 5% with the Target Red Card. Exclusions apply.
- Excludes Barbie Dreamhouse, Disney Frozen Castle, Hot Wheels id, LEGO, Mega Bloks 80pc, NERF Ultra, Thomas & Friends, select party games, video games, and electronics.
- Discount not applicable to gift wrap, tax, or shipping and handling charges. May not be applied to previous orders.
Target Lego Deal$10 Gift Card with $50 in Lego Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: October 31, 2020 12:30 AM PDT
We look back at last year to see what was in sale. Why? Because this year, we should see similar types of promotions.
Apple Black Friday Deals
Apple had these promotions:
- Up to $50 Apple Gift Card when you order iPhone
- Up to $100 Apple Gift Card when you buy selected iPad models
- $25 Apple Gift Card for Apple Watch purchase
- $150 Apple Gift Card for select Mac computers
- $25 Apple Gift Card for Apple TV purchase
Apple offered similar promotions the previous year, but at least increased the iPad gift card amount. The Apple deals at other stores including Best Buy, Target, etc where far superior to the Apple Store.
So - one would think the best strategy for Apple products is to ditch the Apple store in favor of major retailers? Maybe, but better deals showed up just 14 days after Black Friday - with deeper discounts and zero sales tax. And finally, Apple did not even offer a sale on CyberMonday.
Gap Black Friday Sales
Gap has a “50% off Everything” sale. The later had many other sales of the type Save up to 50% off plus an extra 40% off. These were better on the select sale items, but the 50% off was a lot better on general merchandise.
Black Friday Laptop Deals
Black Friday is a great time to buy a new laptop. Most of the deals were on lower end, budget notebooks. Here were the top items on sale then.
Dell Home Doorbusters - 11/23/17 Thursday 11am ET
- Inspiron 15 3000 Notebook Celeron 4GB/500GB $199.99 ($299.99) Free Shipping
Dell Small Business Doorbusters - 11/23/17 Thursday 11am EST
- Inspiron 15 3000 Notebook Celeron 4GB/500GB 1 Year ProSupport $199.99 ($299.99)
Dell Home Doorbusters - 11/23/17 Thursday 6pm ET
- Inspiron 14 3000 Notebook Celeron 2GB/32GB Windows 10 $129.99 ($249.99) Free Shipping
Dell Home Doorbusters - 11/23/17 Thursday 9pm ET
- Inspiron 11 3000 2 in 1 Core M3 4GB/1TB Windows 10 $299.99 ($599.99) Free Shipping
Dell Home Doorbusters - 11/24/17 Friday 8am ET
- Inspiron 15 3000 Notebook Core i3 4GB/1TB $299.99 ($429.99) Free Shipping
Dell Small Business Doorbusters - 11/24/17 Friday 8am EST
- Inspiron 15 3000 Notebook Core i3 4GB/1TB 1 Year ProSupport $334.99 ($489.99)
Black Friday Video Game Deals
These deals can be of good value, if and only if you like the bundled games. The prices of these holiday bundles held steady, probably due to minimum advertised pricing restrictions. On the other hand, there are plenty of video games on sale, making this a great time to buy software.
- Playstation 4 PS4 1TB Slim Gaming System $199 ($300)
- Best deal: PS4 1TB System $199 free shipping ($300) plus Free $50 Gamestop Gift Card!
Xbox One S
- Xbox One S 500GB Console + Free Game and 1-Month Game Pass $189 Free shipping ($249)
- Xbox One S 500GB System $189 free shipping ($280)
- Xbox 360 Original model Pre-owned Free After rebate. Thursday-Friday.
Black Friday HDTV Deals
TVs are always a bright spot for Black Friday. Some of the best deals can be had then.
- Sold out: TCL 40-inch smart TV, only $249.99 free shipping ($290)
- Sold out: TCL 49-inch smart TV, only $349.99 free shipping ($480)
- Sold out: TCL 55-inch smart TV, only $379.99 free shipping ($600)
Best Buy Doorbuster
- In store only: Sharp - 50" Class (49.5" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV Roku TV - LC-50LBU591U $179.99 ($500)
- In store only: Toshiba- 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV Chromecast - 55L711U18 $279.99 ($500)
Black Friday Smartphone Deals
Everyone wants a better phone, Black Friday is a great time to upgrade.
- Save $350 on Samsung Note 8, S8, S8+ with activation.
- Samsung S8 64GB Verizon $15.41/month for 24 months (Regular $30/month)
- Samsung S8+ 64GB Verizon $19.41/month for 24 months (Regular $34/month)
- In store: iPhone 8 and 8 Plus Free $250 Gift Card with qualified activation - AT&T, Sprint, Verizon
Black Friday is No Longer the Best Sale of the Year
As we have shown, similar or better deals can be had throughout the year. So what’s the point of Black Friday?
We at BuyVia still believe Black Friday can save you money - but you have to set your expectations. If you expect to find the lowest possible price of the year on your favorite items, you are in for a disappointment. But if you are looking for good deals on your holiday list, Black Friday is still a great way to save money.
If you are looking for the best possible price on specific items, do your research. Often web based retailers will trump their retail competition because they pass the decreased cost of overhead onto their consumers. For the best possible deals, sign up here to receive personal deal alerts from Buyvia.
Do you have a comment or a different experience with Black Friday?
Tags: black friday