The Safest Way to Use Your Credit Card – Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, EMV Chip
Last Update: 8/4/2016
In the beginning, there was cash. Then came credit cards, which were much more convenient...but also opened up new avenues for thieves, who could use your account just by stealing a credit card number.
Now, a whole slew of new technologies have hit the scene, promising better and safer credit card use. EMV chip cards, Apple Pay, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay all promise you increased security combined with convenience. But which one is really the safest and fastest?
Old and New Technologies
Old-school credit cards store your account information on a magnetic stripe that you swipe through a card reader. This means that anyone who has your card has access to your account. It’s also possible for thieves to hack into a store’s data files and get account numbers for hundreds of users at once.
To deter thieves, stores can have you sign a receipt whenever you make a credit card transaction. In theory, this should stop a stranger from using your card, but in practice, it doesn’t do much. Most stores don’t require a signature for small purchases, and even for large ones, they don’t usually bother to check the signature against the one on your card.
New payment technologies have more sophisticated methods of blocking theft. They come in two main forms: EMV chip cards and mobile payment systems.
Facts About EMV Chip Cards
- EMV cards (short for Europay, MasterCard, and Visa) store your account information on a computer chip embedded into the card.
- When you make a transaction, this chip doesn’t pass along your actual account number. Instead, it creates a single-use code to authorize the transaction.
- EMV cards, also known as chip cards or smart cards, are already the standard in Europe. Now, US card issuers are also making the transition to chip cards.
- As of September 30, USA Today reports, only four out of ten users had been upgraded to the new cards—and many businesses still didn’t have the new chip readers required to use them.
- The current generation of EMV cards also have an old-school magnetic stripes on them. That way, they can still work in older card readers. This legacy compatibility will be needed for many years, yet reduces security.
- The payment terminals used by stores, often have the ability to enable encryption but may not have them turned on, due to extra costs or complexity.
Facts About Mobile Payment Systems
- With a mobile payment system, you enter your credit card information into your phone or other mobile device.
- To make an in-store payments. you wave your phone across the NFC (near-field communication) reader.
- Like an EMV card, a mobile system creates a one-time code for the transaction, so your actual account number never enters the store’s records.
- You can also use mobile payment systems to shop online through retailer apps that accept them.
Amazon Warehouse Deals - Extra 20% off - Get up to 40% off open box and pre-owned products. 30 day return policy. Look for items: Sold by and shipped by Amazon Warehouse Deals.
- Amazon Kindle, Echo, etc
- Computer & Tablets
- Coffee & Tea
- 50% off or more in the Bargain Bin
These are open-box items, used, returned from electronics, home improvement, automotive, and more. It takes some time to look around the sale items to find a deal.Sales tax in: All Except AK, DE, MT, NH, OR
Posted: April 21, 2018 6:01 AM PDT
15% off for VIB Rouge with coupon code YAYROUGE.
15% off for VIB with coupon code YAYVIB.
10% off for BI with coupon code YAYINSIDER.
Shipping is free on orders over $50.
New Weekly Wows! every Thursday! While supplies last.
Urban Decay Naked Basics Eyeshadow Paletteonly $19 before code (reg. $29).
Boscia Tsubaki Deep Hydration Sleeping Maskonly $30 before code (reg. $34).
Posted: April 20, 2018 12:06 PM PDT
Kate Spade Extra 20% Off Select Items with coupon code MDAY18. Valid on full-priced items only. Sale items up to 60% off, prices as marked. Ends May 13, 2018. Plus, Shipping is free.
Hot deals on wallets, handbags, jewelry, and more.
Cameron Street Lottie only $230 (reg. $328) with Free Shipping.
Cameron Street Lacey only $132 (reg. $188) with Free Shipping.
Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: April 20, 2018 11:51 AM PDT
Kohl's 30% Off for Cardholders - Appliances, Clothes, more - Instant pot with promo code: TULIPS30, KCSHIP when you checkout with a Kohl's Card. Expires April 22, 2018 - Exclusions apply. This sale happens only once a month. Combine up to 4 coupons per order. Free Shipping on orders over $50+ or free in store pickup. Apply for a Kohl's card
$10 Kohl's Cash for every $50 spent.
- Free Shipping for Kohl's Card holders Code: KCSHIP - Normally Free Shipping $75
- Non Kohl's Card holders 15% off Code: HURRY15 Exp 4/22/2018
Sign up for paperless billing and get $10 Kohl's Cash emailed to you in 5-7 days.
- $10 Off $40+ Juniors Spring Style Event (Select Styles) Promo code: FESTIVAL
- Exceptions apply
Best Kohls Deals
Instant Pot Duo 60 3QT 7 in 1 Pressure Cooker $89.99 - 30% Coupon = $63, Free Shipping using Code. Larger ones available with coupon discount also.
Norelco Multigroom 3000 Personal Groomer $19.99 - 30% off Kohls Card holder Coupon = $14 Free Shipping using code. Regular $30.
Sold Out: Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker $109.99 - 30% Coupon = $77, Free Shipping using Code.
The Big One Body Pillow $3.99 - Code = $2.80, Free Shipping using code. Regular $12-20 each.
The Big One Bath Towel $3.99 - code = $2.80, Free Shipping using code. Was From $10.
Contigo Ashland 32-oz. Water Bottle $15.99 - 30% = $11. Free Shipping using Code. ($17)
Sold out: Men's Under Armour Baseline Funnelneck Pullover $17.99. Free Shipping using Code. ($60) - No 30% off Code.
Men's Nike Therma Fleece Pants $28. Free Shipping using Code. ($55)
Sold out: Boys Camo Lounge Pants $3.20-$6.40 - 30% off. Free Shipping using Code. ($32)
Fila Men's Athletic Shoes select styles from $35.99 - 30% coupon = $25.20. Free Shipping using coupon
25% off select Nike Styles - Coupons do not apply. Free Shipping using Code.
Craft and Barrow Classic Fit Dress Pants $21.99 - Code = $15.99. Free Shipping using Code. ($28)
Craft and Barrow Classic Fit Easy Care Stretch Dress Pants $19.99 - Code = $14. Free Shipping using Code. ($28)
Big & Tall Dickies Brawny Plaid Flannel Button-Down Shirt From $17.60 - 30% off = $12.32. Free Shipping using Code. Was $50.
Women's Fashion Boots starting from $39.99 - 30% off coupon = $28. Free Shipping using Code.
40-50% outerwear for the family Additional 30% off code. Free Shipping using Code.
30-50% off Sonoma Goods for Life Clothes for the entire family. Additional 30% off for using code. Free Shipping using Code.
Ninja Coffee Bar Glass Carafe Coffee Bar System $189.99 - Coupon = $133, Free Shipping. ($250)
Magic Bullet 11-pc. Blending System $49.99 - 30% off code = $35. Free Shipping using Code. Was $60
Nutribullet Pro 900 Watt Blender $79.99 - 30% off code = $56, Free Shipping using Code. Regular $120.
Keurig K15 Mini Plus Personal Coffee Brewer Now $99.99 - 30% off coupon code = $70. Free Shipping using Code. ($120) Get $10 Kohl's Cash
Keurig K-select Coffee Brewer Now $129.99 - 30% off coupon code = $91 Free Shipping using Code. ($150) Get $10 Kohl's Cash
Keurig K55 Mini Plus Personal Coffee Brewer Regular $140, Now $119.99 - 30% off coupon code = $84. Free Shipping using Code. $10 Kohl's Cash
Sonicare Essence Rechargeable Toothbrush $24.99 - 30% off coupon = $18. Free Shipping using code.
Sonicare SimplyClean 5-pack Replacement Brush Heads $39.99 - 30% coupon = $28 Free Shipping using code.
If you shop at Kohls and want to save, definitely get a Kohl's Credit card.
Limit one offer per customer. Dollar-off discounts, including Kohl's Cash® coupons, Yes2You Rewards® and Promotional Gifts, will be applied prior to percent-off total purchase discounts/coupons. Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other percent-off discounts, including age-specific discounts. Offer not valid on the following merchandise: Gift Cards; Kohl’s Cares® cause merchandise or other charitable items; prestige brands of cosmetics, skincare and select prestige brands of fragrance; Columbia; Dyson; Levi's; Nike; select electronics/electrics; consumables; and select online-exclusive merchandise. For a complete list of these merchandise exclusions, go to Kohls.com/exclusions or look for signs in our stores. Offer also not valid on price adjustments on prior purchases; payment on a Kohl’s Charge account; taxes, shipping and/or handling fees.Promo Code: TULIPS30, KCSHIP
Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: April 20, 2018 6:01 AM PDT
Free Entrance Days in the National Parks is available on these Holidays in 2018:
- January 15 Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- April 21 National Park Week
- September 22 National Public Lands Day
- November 11 Veterans Day
Check with your local park to see if they are participating.
National Parks include Yosemite and Sequoia National Park (CA), Grand Canyon National Park (AZ), Zion and Bryce National Park (UT), Theodore Roosevelt National Park (ND), Wright Brothers National Memorial (NC), Lewis & Clark National Historical Park (OR), and many more regional spots.Posted: April 19, 2018 6:01 AM PDT
Mother's Day is Sunday, May 13, 2018. Graduation season is coming up plus Father's Day falls on Sunday, June 18, 2018 and he definitely deserves a break that day. Perhaps a nice steak dinner? Many restaurants have new special gift card deals for this special day.
Father's Day is a day to honor Dad as well as dad's hard work and influence on families. In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation designating Mother's Day, held on the third Sunday in June, as a national holiday to honor dads.
Promotions for Mother's Day, Father's Day and Graduation:
- Bahama Breeze has $20 in bonus cards with $50 Gift Card purchase. Expires 6/30/18
- Benihana has $10 in bonus cards with $50 Gift Card purchase. Bonus card valid May 14 - June 17, 2018. Offer Expires 5/13/18
- Black Angus has $10 in bonus cards with $50 Gift Card purchase. Bonus card valid June 19 - August 31, 2018. Offer Expires 6/18/18
- Bonefish Grill - Get a $10 Bonus Gift Card with every $50 spend on eGift Cards. The Bonus Card is valid from May 14 to July 20, 2018. Expires 6/18/2018.
- Brio Tuscan Grille - Get a $25 Bonus Card with the purchase of $100 in gift cards. Good only in Brio restaurants, not online. Bonus card valid 6/18-8/31/18. Expires 6/17/2018
- Caribou Coffee, has buy a $25 gift card, get a $5 bonus card now through April 23, 2018. Valid in stores or online.
- First Watch has a $20 Bonus Card with the purchase of $100 in gift cards.
- Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar - Get a $20 Bonus Card with the every $100 in gift cards. The Bonus Card is valid from May 14- July 20, 2018. Expires 6/17/2018.
- Fogo de Chao - Get a $25 Bonus eCard for every $125 in eGift cards purchased now through June 17, 2018. Bonus card redeemable 6/18 to 8/30/18.
- Olive Garden - Get a $10 Bonus Card with the purchase of $50 in gift cards. This annual special is good for gift card purchases April 10 through May 13, 2018. The Bonus Card is good June 1 – June 30.
- Omaha Steaks - Up to 50% off Father's Day Sale
- Outback - Get a $10 Bonus Card with the purchase of $50 in Gift Cards. This Bonus Card is valid from May 14 - July 20, 2018. Expires 6/17/2018.
- Tony Roma's has a $15 Bonus card with purchase of $50 in Gift Cards. Bonus card valid 7/1-9/30/18. Expires 6/30/2018
Promotions from 2017 that may be repeated
- Applebee's - Get a $10 Bonus Card with the purchase of $50 in E-Gift Cards. Good for gift card purchases through July 2, 2017. The Bonus Card is good May 15 – August 13, 2017.
- Baskin Robbins - $3 off online purchase of cake w/ Code: BESTDAD. Expires 6/18/2017
- Beef ‘O’ Brady’s - Free meals for Dads(up to $10) w/ purchase of equal or greater value. At participating locations.
- Bertucci's - Dads get a free small Polpette(5 meatballs) offer card good on your next dine-in visit. One per dad or one per party, while supplies last.
- BJ’s Restaurants - Get a $10 Bonus Card with the purchase of $50 in E-Gift Cards. Good for gift card purchases through May 17, 2017. The Bonus Card is good May 15 – June 17, 2017.
- Boston Market has a special Father's Day $29.99 Meal for 6/18/2017
- Bravo Cucina Italiana - Get a $25 Bonus Card with the purchase of $100 in gift cards. Good through June 18, 2017. Good only in Bravo restaurants, not online. Bonus card redeemable 6/19 to 8/31.
- Buffalo Wild Wings - Get a $5 Bonus Card with the purchase of $30in gift cards. Expires 6/18/2017
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill Has buy $50 in gift cards, get $50 in Free bonus cards. In restaurant only. 6/16/2017-6/18/2017
- Del Frisco’s Grill - Get a $10 Bonus Card with the purchase of $100 in gift cards. Offer valid April 12, 2017 through May 23, 2017. Bonus cards valid from May 26, 2017 through July 31, 2017.
- Firehouse Subs - Free medium sub when you purchae an additional medium or large sub,side, and drink. Valid 6/18/2017 only.
- Ginger Money - Dads Eat Free
- Hooter's - Buy any 10 wings and a beverage and get 10 boneless wings for free. Also at Hooters buy a $25 gift card leading up to Father’s Day, and earn $5 in Dad’s Bonus Bucks while supplies last.
- Macaroni Grill - 25% Off E-Gift Cards w/ Code: DAD17
- McCormick & Schmick’s - $28 Steak and Lobster or King Crab special
- Morton's The Steakhouse - 3-Course Father's Day Menu on Sunday for $59 per person. Includes salad, entree, and dessert.
- O’Charley’s - Buy a $25 gift card and get a $5 bonus card. Good now through June 18, 2017 for online and in-store gift card sales.
- Panera Bread - Get a $10 Bonus Card with the purchase of $50 in Gift Cards. This Bonus Card is valid from June 1 - 30, 2017. Expires 5/31/2017
- PF Chang’s - Get a $10 Bonus Card with the purchase of $50 in gift cards now through June 18, 2017. The Bonus Card is good 6/19/17 – 7/31/17.
- Ruby Tuesday- Get a $15 Bonus Card with the purchase of $50+ in Gift Cards. Gift Card purchase is only valid for in-store orders. Please see Ruby Tuesday's Facebook page for more info.
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House - Dads get a $25 dining card when they dine during Father's Day Weekend. At participating locations.
- Spaghetti Warehouse - Dads eat free on Father's day. No coupon required.
- Steak N Shake - Free double steakburger with cheese, Fries, Regular drink when you buy a $25 gift card
- World of Beer - Free seleect draught or $5 Off on Father's day for Dads.
Types of Mobile Payment Systems
Right now, there are three mobile payment systems on the market:
- Apple Pay. The Apple Pay system works only with relatively new Apple devices. You can use it to make in-store payments with the iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, or iPhone 6 Plus, or with an Apple Watch that’s paired to an iPhone 5 or newer. (It also works on newer iPads, but only for in-app payments, not in stores.) Apple Pay works with most major credit and debit cards from top US banks; you can find a complete list of participating banks on Apple’s website.
- Android Pay. This system works on any Android device. It comes preloaded on many devices, but if your phone doesn’t have it, you can simply download the app from Google Play. Android Pay works with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards; participating banks are listed here.
- Samsung Pay. Samsung Pay, the latest addition to the mobile payment field, works only with Samsung’s newest devices: the Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, and S6 Edge+, and the Galaxy Note5. In addition, your device must be connected through one of the major mobile carriers: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, or Verizon. Finally, Samsung Pay requires a major credit card from one of four participating banks: Bank of America, Citi, US Bank, and Synchrony Financial.
All the new technologies prevent hacking by keeping your credit card number hidden when you make a purchase. Even if hackers managed to lift the information from one of your purchases, all they would get is the one-time transaction number, which can’t be reused.
However, this process—known as “tokenization”—can’t stop thieves from getting at your money the old-fashioned way: by stealing your wallet or phone. Once they physically get their hands on your credit card, what’s to stop them from using it? The answer to that question depends on which technology you’re using.
EMV Card Protections
- Chip-and-PIN. In Europe, EMV credit cards use a “chip and PIN” system. You insert your card into an electronic chip reader, then punch in a PIN (Personal Identification Number) to verify your identity. This is the most secure way to use EMV. The Chip does not track your location although charging an item will get your location logged on your bill of course.
- Chip-and-Signature. In the US, most banks aren’t set up yet to process PIN payments. Instead, they check your identity with a signature, which often passes without examination. US card issuers plan to switch to a chip-and-PIN system eventually, but it will probably take two to three years.
- Online Shopping. EMV cards don’t offer any extra protection for online shopping. You can’t use the embedded chip to generate a one-time transaction code as you do in a store, so you have to use your actual account number, which could possibly be intercepted by hackers. With mobile payments, by contrast, tokenization protects you for both online and in-store purchases.
Apple Pay Protections
- Fingerprint or Passcode. When you use Apple Pay with your iPhone, you must put the phone near the credit card terminal and either enter a passcode or use the TouchID sensor to scan your fingerprint. Thieves can steal your phone, but they can’t steal your fingerprints—and a passcode up to six digits long is pretty hard for them to guess. The downside for online use is that apps need to be updated to support Apple Pay.
- Click and Scan. Apple Pay for the Apple Watch, however, doesn’t offer nearly as much protection. To authorize a payment with the Watch, all you have to do is double-click the side button before scanning the phone. So if a thief manages to snatch your Apple Watch, they can also get into your Apple Pay account.
- Find My iPhone. If your iPhone or Apple Watch is stolen, there’s a way to keep thieves out. Just log into iCloud and use the “Find My iPhone” tool to mark the lost device as missing. That way it’s automatically cut off from your Apple Pay account.
Android Pay Protections
- Unlock and Swipe. Unlike Apple Pay, Android Pay doesn’t require a passcode or a fingerprint scan to authorize a payment. All you have to do is unlock the phone and wave it over the NFC reader.
- Security Loopholes. Some newer Android devices have fingerprint scanners, but they’re not that secure. According to Business Insider, the Android scanners have security loopholes that make them vulnerable to hacking.
- PIN Protection. Fortunately, can set up a PIN-protected lock screen on your Android device. As long as you keep the device locked when it’s not in use, thieves can’t use it to break into your Android Pay account.
- Remote Lock. If your Android device is ever stolen while it’s unlocked, you can go into the Android Device Manager to remotely lock it and secure it with a new password.
Samsung Pay Protections
- Fingerprint or PIN. Like Apple Pay, Samsung Pay requires either a fingerprint scan or a PIN for every transaction. However, Samsung Pay only takes 4-digit PINs, which aren’t quite as secure as Apple’s 6-digit passcodes.
- Find My Mobile. Samsung doesn’t offer as many options for securing a stolen phone as Apple and Android. If you’re signed up with Samsung’s “Find My Mobile” service, you can use it to remotely delete all your payment information to stop thieves from accessing it—but then you’ll have to input it all again if you get the phone back.
The Bottom Line
All four of the new technologies are much more secure than an old-school credit card. However, some are clearly stronger than others. The Safest Way to Use Your Credit Card from best to worst:
- Apple Pay. The best of the lot, with all your transactions secured by either a fingerprint or a passcode of up to 6 digits.
- Samsung Pay. A close second, but its 4-digit PINs are slightly easier to crack than Apple’s.
- Android Pay. It may eventually rival Apple and Samsung, but right now the weaknesses in its fingerprint recognition make it a distant third. However, securing your Android device with a PIN makes it much safer.
- EMV Cards. Though they protect you from hackers, any thief can use a stolen one simply by faking your signature. And when you’re shopping online, an EMV credit card is just a credit card. Also validating an EMV seems to take longer in our local tests at several stores. Use the chip card reader instead of the magnetic stripe reader whenever possible.
- Regular Magnetic stripe Credit cards. They are easy to clone and steal for both in store and online use.