The Safest Way to Use Your Credit Card – Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, EMV Chip
Last Update: 8/4/2016
In the beginning, there was cash. Then came credit cards, which were much more convenient...but also opened up new avenues for thieves, who could use your account just by stealing a credit card number.
Now, a whole slew of new technologies have hit the scene, promising better and safer credit card use. EMV chip cards, Apple Pay, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay all promise you increased security combined with convenience. But which one is really the safest and fastest?
Old and New Technologies
Old-school credit cards store your account information on a magnetic stripe that you swipe through a card reader. This means that anyone who has your card has access to your account. It’s also possible for thieves to hack into a store’s data files and get account numbers for hundreds of users at once.
To deter thieves, stores can have you sign a receipt whenever you make a credit card transaction. In theory, this should stop a stranger from using your card, but in practice, it doesn’t do much. Most stores don’t require a signature for small purchases, and even for large ones, they don’t usually bother to check the signature against the one on your card.
New payment technologies have more sophisticated methods of blocking theft. They come in two main forms: EMV chip cards and mobile payment systems.
Facts About EMV Chip Cards
- EMV cards (short for Europay, MasterCard, and Visa) store your account information on a computer chip embedded into the card.
- When you make a transaction, this chip doesn’t pass along your actual account number. Instead, it creates a single-use code to authorize the transaction.
- EMV cards, also known as chip cards or smart cards, are already the standard in Europe. Now, US card issuers are also making the transition to chip cards.
- As of September 30, USA Today reports, only four out of ten users had been upgraded to the new cards—and many businesses still didn’t have the new chip readers required to use them.
- The current generation of EMV cards also have an old-school magnetic stripes on them. That way, they can still work in older card readers. This legacy compatibility will be needed for many years, yet reduces security.
- The payment terminals used by stores, often have the ability to enable encryption but may not have them turned on, due to extra costs or complexity.
Facts About Mobile Payment Systems
- With a mobile payment system, you enter your credit card information into your phone or other mobile device.
- To make an in-store payments. you wave your phone across the NFC (near-field communication) reader.
- Like an EMV card, a mobile system creates a one-time code for the transaction, so your actual account number never enters the store’s records.
- You can also use mobile payment systems to shop online through retailer apps that accept them.
Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: January 18, 2019 8:35 AM PST
Express Additional 50% Off Clearance Sale. Free Shipping $50. Shop early for best selection. Popular sizes will sell out quickly. The best discount during the year is usually 40% off. Exclusions apply.
Not valid on Featured Brands or previous purchases. Other restrictions may apply.
- Men's Clothes - Women's Clothes
- Dress Shirts $24.90 ($69 each) - Add 4 to court for $99.60 and take 40% off with Coupon code 7266
Posted: January 17, 2019 1:00 PM PST
Kohl's 30% Off for Cardholders - $24 Crockpot, Shoes, Appliances, Clothes, more - Instant Pot 6Qt $63
Kohl's 30% Off for Cardholders - $24 Crockpot, Shoes, Appliances, Clothes, more - Instant Pot 6Qt $63 plus Free Shipping with promo codes: MITTENS30, FREEMVCJAN when you checkout with a Kohl's Card. Expires: 1/27/2019 - Exclusions apply. Free in store pickup.
- Everyone: Take 15% off or 20% off $100+ with code SAVEBIG Expires 1/21
- Extra 35% off When You Apply for a New Kohl’s Charge
- Apply for a Kohl's card
- This sale happens only once a month.
- Free Shipping on orders over $50+ or free in store pickup for other credit cards.
Stackable Combinable Coupons
- $10 off $30 on Baby with code BABY10 Exp 1/30
- 15% off Bedding, Storage, Window. Select Styles with code HOME15 Exp 1/27
- Exceptions apply
- Combine up to 4 coupons per order
Best Kohls Deals
Instant Pot Duo 60 6QT 7 in 1 Pressure Cooker $89.99 - 30% Kohls Cardholder Coupon = $63, Free Shipping using Code. Larger ones available with coupon discount also.
Carters 5 pack Baby Bodysuits $11.99 - Code = $8.39 ($26) - Select 3, also apply code: BABY10 to get 3 5 packs for $18.17
Crock-Pot Design To Shine 7-qt. Slow Cooker $34.99 - Coupon Codes: MITTENS30, FREEMVCJAN = $24.49 Free Shipping.
KitchenAid Mixer 5Qt $299.99 - Code = $210 Free Shipping.
Instant Pot Duo 60 3QT 7 in 1 Pressure Cooker $89.99 - 30% Kohls Cardholder Coupon = $62.99, Free Shipping using Code. Larger ones available with coupon discount also.
Sold out: Copper Chef XL 5-pc. Casserole Pan Set with Induction Cooktop $69.99 - 30% Kohls Cardholder Coupon = $49, Free Shipping using Code.
Keurig K15 Mini Plus Personal Coffee Brewer $99.99 - 30% off coupon code = $70. Free Shipping using Code. ($120)
Sonicare Series 2 Rechargeable Toothbrush $39.99 - 30% off coupon = $28 Free Shipping using code. Norelco Multigroom 3000 Personal Groomer $16.99 - 30% off Kohls Card holder Coupon = $11.89 Free Shipping using code. Regular $30.
Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker $109.99 - 30% Coupon = $77 = $65.45, Free Shipping using Code.
The Big One Body Pillow from $9.99 - Code = $7, Free Shipping using code. Regular $12-20 each. Buy 1 Get 1 50% off
The Big One Body Memory Foam Contour Pillow $14.99 - Code = $10.50, Free Shipping using code. ($50) The Big One Bath Towel $3.99 - code = $2.79, Free Shipping using code. Was From $10.
Contigo Ashland 32-oz. Water Bottle $12.99 - 30% Coupon = $9.09. Free Shipping using Code. ($17)
Fila Men's Athletic Shoes select styles from $29.99 - 30% coupon = $21. Free Shipping using coupon
25% off select Nike Styles - Coupons do not apply. Free Shipping using Code.
Craft and Barrow Classic Fit Dress Pants $21.99 - Code = $15.39. Free Shipping using Code. ($28) Craft and Barrow Classic Fit Easy Care Stretch Dress Pants $19.99 - Code = $14. Free Shipping using Code. ($28)
Women's Fashion Boots starting from $34.99 - 30% off coupon = $24.50. Free Shipping using Code.
40-50% outerwear for the family Additional 30% off code many of them. Free Shipping using Code.
30-50% off Sonoma Goods for Life Clothes for the entire family. Additional 30% off for using code. Free Shipping using Code.
Ninja Coffee Bar Glass Carafe Coffee Bar System $169.99 - Coupon = $119, Free Shipping. ($250)
Magic Bullet 11-pc. Blending System $49.99 - 30% off code = $35. Free Shipping using Code. Was $60
Nutribullet Pro 900 Watt Blender $79.99 - 30% off code = $56 Free Shipping using Code. Regular $120.
Keurig K-select Coffee Brewer Now $129.99 - 30% off coupon code = $97 Free Shipping using Code. ($150)
Keurig K55 Mini Plus Personal Coffee Brewer $129.99 - 30% off coupon code = $97 ($140) Free Shipping using Code. $10 Kohl's Cash
Sonicare Essence Rechargeable Toothbrush $24.99 - 30% off coupon = $17.50 - $5 mail in rebate = $12.50. Free Shipping using code. ($50) Sonicare SimplyClean 5-pack Replacement Brush Heads $34.99 - 30% coupon = $23 Free Shipping using code.
If you shop at Kohls and want to save, definitely get a Kohl's Credit card.
Limit one offer per customer. Dollar-off discounts, including Kohl's Cash® coupons, Yes2You Rewards® and Promotional Gifts, will be applied prior to percent-off total purchase discounts/coupons. Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other percent-off discounts, including age-specific discounts. Offer not valid on the following merchandise: Gift Cards; Kohl’s Cares® cause merchandise or other charitable items; prestige brands of cosmetics, skincare and select prestige brands of fragrance; Columbia; Dyson; Levi's; Nike; select electronics/electrics; consumables; and select online-exclusive merchandise. For a complete list of these merchandise exclusions, go to Kohls.com/exclusions or look for signs in our stores. Offer also not valid on price adjustments on prior purchases; payment on a Kohl’s Charge account; taxes, shipping and/or handling fees.Promo Code: MITTENS30, FREEMVCJAN
Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: January 17, 2019 1:00 PM PST
Amazon Up to 40% Off Jewelry, prices as marked. Shipping is free on orders over $35 or free 2-day shipping with Prime.
Lots of silver and gold jewelry on sale. Get gifts for all your loved ones or for yourself!
- Sterling Silver Filigree Hoop Earrings $29 (reg. $36).
- Sterling Silver Pressed Flower Teardrop Earrings $28.15 (reg. $39.99).
Posted: January 16, 2019 1:57 PM PST
Free 1 Year Sprint Unlimited When You Bring Your Device Expires: 1/20/2019
Save over $800 in the first year!
SIM card costs $2.99 plus $10 shipping.
- Get Unlimited data, talk & text free for 1 year
- Keep your phone and phone number
- No annual contracts, no activation fees - a $30 savings!
- Works with most iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones
Savings until 1/31/20; then $60/mo. for line 1, $40/mo for line 2 and $20/mo/line for lines 3-5. Reqs. AutoPay (discount applied w/in 2 invoices), new account, bring your own eligible device & Sprint SIM card. Savings claim compared to AT&T Unlimited & More and Verizon Go Unlimited rate plans for 1 line; features differ. Video streams up to 480p, music up to 500 Kbps, gaming up to 2 Mbps. Data deprioritization during congestion. Other monthly charges apply.**Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: January 15, 2019 12:29 AM PST
Types of Mobile Payment Systems
Right now, there are three mobile payment systems on the market:
- Apple Pay. The Apple Pay system works only with relatively new Apple devices. You can use it to make in-store payments with the iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, or iPhone 6 Plus, or with an Apple Watch that’s paired to an iPhone 5 or newer. (It also works on newer iPads, but only for in-app payments, not in stores.) Apple Pay works with most major credit and debit cards from top US banks; you can find a complete list of participating banks on Apple’s website.
- Android Pay. This system works on any Android device. It comes preloaded on many devices, but if your phone doesn’t have it, you can simply download the app from Google Play. Android Pay works with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards; participating banks are listed here.
- Samsung Pay. Samsung Pay, the latest addition to the mobile payment field, works only with Samsung’s newest devices: the Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, and S6 Edge+, and the Galaxy Note5. In addition, your device must be connected through one of the major mobile carriers: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, or Verizon. Finally, Samsung Pay requires a major credit card from one of four participating banks: Bank of America, Citi, US Bank, and Synchrony Financial.
All the new technologies prevent hacking by keeping your credit card number hidden when you make a purchase. Even if hackers managed to lift the information from one of your purchases, all they would get is the one-time transaction number, which can’t be reused.
However, this process—known as “tokenization”—can’t stop thieves from getting at your money the old-fashioned way: by stealing your wallet or phone. Once they physically get their hands on your credit card, what’s to stop them from using it? The answer to that question depends on which technology you’re using.
EMV Card Protections
- Chip-and-PIN. In Europe, EMV credit cards use a “chip and PIN” system. You insert your card into an electronic chip reader, then punch in a PIN (Personal Identification Number) to verify your identity. This is the most secure way to use EMV. The Chip does not track your location although charging an item will get your location logged on your bill of course.
- Chip-and-Signature. In the US, most banks aren’t set up yet to process PIN payments. Instead, they check your identity with a signature, which often passes without examination. US card issuers plan to switch to a chip-and-PIN system eventually, but it will probably take two to three years.
- Online Shopping. EMV cards don’t offer any extra protection for online shopping. You can’t use the embedded chip to generate a one-time transaction code as you do in a store, so you have to use your actual account number, which could possibly be intercepted by hackers. With mobile payments, by contrast, tokenization protects you for both online and in-store purchases.
Apple Pay Protections
- Fingerprint or Passcode. When you use Apple Pay with your iPhone, you must put the phone near the credit card terminal and either enter a passcode or use the TouchID sensor to scan your fingerprint. Thieves can steal your phone, but they can’t steal your fingerprints—and a passcode up to six digits long is pretty hard for them to guess. The downside for online use is that apps need to be updated to support Apple Pay.
- Click and Scan. Apple Pay for the Apple Watch, however, doesn’t offer nearly as much protection. To authorize a payment with the Watch, all you have to do is double-click the side button before scanning the phone. So if a thief manages to snatch your Apple Watch, they can also get into your Apple Pay account.
- Find My iPhone. If your iPhone or Apple Watch is stolen, there’s a way to keep thieves out. Just log into iCloud and use the “Find My iPhone” tool to mark the lost device as missing. That way it’s automatically cut off from your Apple Pay account.
Android Pay Protections
- Unlock and Swipe. Unlike Apple Pay, Android Pay doesn’t require a passcode or a fingerprint scan to authorize a payment. All you have to do is unlock the phone and wave it over the NFC reader.
- Security Loopholes. Some newer Android devices have fingerprint scanners, but they’re not that secure. According to Business Insider, the Android scanners have security loopholes that make them vulnerable to hacking.
- PIN Protection. Fortunately, can set up a PIN-protected lock screen on your Android device. As long as you keep the device locked when it’s not in use, thieves can’t use it to break into your Android Pay account.
- Remote Lock. If your Android device is ever stolen while it’s unlocked, you can go into the Android Device Manager to remotely lock it and secure it with a new password.
Samsung Pay Protections
- Fingerprint or PIN. Like Apple Pay, Samsung Pay requires either a fingerprint scan or a PIN for every transaction. However, Samsung Pay only takes 4-digit PINs, which aren’t quite as secure as Apple’s 6-digit passcodes.
- Find My Mobile. Samsung doesn’t offer as many options for securing a stolen phone as Apple and Android. If you’re signed up with Samsung’s “Find My Mobile” service, you can use it to remotely delete all your payment information to stop thieves from accessing it—but then you’ll have to input it all again if you get the phone back.
The Bottom Line
All four of the new technologies are much more secure than an old-school credit card. However, some are clearly stronger than others. The Safest Way to Use Your Credit Card from best to worst:
- Apple Pay. The best of the lot, with all your transactions secured by either a fingerprint or a passcode of up to 6 digits.
- Samsung Pay. A close second, but its 4-digit PINs are slightly easier to crack than Apple’s.
- Android Pay. It may eventually rival Apple and Samsung, but right now the weaknesses in its fingerprint recognition make it a distant third. However, securing your Android device with a PIN makes it much safer.
- EMV Cards. Though they protect you from hackers, any thief can use a stolen one simply by faking your signature. And when you’re shopping online, an EMV credit card is just a credit card. Also validating an EMV seems to take longer in our local tests at several stores. Use the chip card reader instead of the magnetic stripe reader whenever possible.
- Regular Magnetic stripe Credit cards. They are easy to clone and steal for both in store and online use.