T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Upgradeable Smartphone Plan Review
T-Mobile created a new wireless plan called T-Mobile JUMP! to address the needs of customers who want to upgrade to the latest and greatest Smartphone when a new device is available or when you are tired of your current phone. This was later renamed to JUMP! On Demand in June 2015.
Normal Smartphone plans in America require shoppers to commit to a 2 year contract. People cannot change phones during this time unless they want to pay an expensive early termination fee (ETF), for cancelling their contract. With this new program, you can upgrade as many as 3 times a year, more often than AT&T Wireless or Verizon Wireless. As you read our T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand review, you will see how much it costs and whether it is worth signing up for.
JUMP! On Demand Features:
- Never pay to upgrade, just trade in unwanted device
- Zero upfront for new phone
- No waiting 2 years to upgrade
$0 at signing + $X/mo. for 18-months on approved credit. If you cancel wireless service, remaining payments become due & you must return working device.
T-Mobile Jump ON Demand started in June 2015 with the hottest phones at the time: iPhone 6 and 6 plus, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, Note 4, and LG's G4.
T-Mobile changes its plans from time to time, so we will reexamine them when necessary. Additional short term promotions may popup. They have already adjusted this plan to make it more attractive. They dropped the 6 month requirement before you can upgrade.
June 2015 JUMP! Changes
- T-Mobile dropped the $10 a month charge in June 2015, but charges $8 a month if you want the insurance that was included with the $10 monthly charge. (AT&T and Verizon never charged extra for this)
- With the 24 installment payments, you make 18 monthly, then must pay the 6 remaining at one time. (Few will wait this long before upgrading)
Upgrading early with a 2 year Contract
With a traditional 2 year Smartphone contract, a user wanting to upgrade to a new handset would have to pay the following:
- $350 Smartphone early termination fee ($10 less with each passing month)
- $649.99 or full price instead of $199 for the new phone
- Another 2 year commitment
- If you cancel a contract, you will lose your phone number
- You need to pay off the phone’s remaining balance
This is a steep price, hence the JUMP! Plan was born.
Powerful little iPhone with NO contract! Limit 2
- LTE Prepaid Smartphone
- 4" Display
- Multi-touch display
- 12-megapixel iSight camera
- iOS 14 support
On a budget?
Straight Talk iPhone 7 32GB Black $159 Free Shipping ($649)
Phone CardsStraight talk $35 Unlimited 30 day Plan with 3GB of high speed data $45 for 25GB Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: February 28, 2021 11:59 PM PST
Xfinity.com has the new Google Pixel 4a 128GBw/ 5G Xfinity Sale for $249.99 with Free Shipping. It sells out from time to time. Must be an Xfinity customer.
Xfinity Mobile plans by the Gig or $45/line for Unlimited.
- Great Value, no need to pay $700-$1000 for an expensive flagship phone!
- If your phone stopped getting monthly security updates, it is time for a new phone
It does not have all the latest bells and whistles but does the job at half the price of top of the line phones. No waterproofing, so use a good case. cnet Review calls it a feature rich budget smartphone
Google Pixel phones get all the latest updates and do not have junkware installed. Comes with 3 years of OS and security updates] and the custom-built Titan M chip.
- 5.8" Screen
- 5G capable cell phone gives you an extra boost of speed so you can download a movie in seconds, enjoy smooth streaming in ultra clear HD, play games at home and on the go, and even share your 5G speed with friends
- The all day battery can last up to 48 hours with Extreme Battery Saver
- Your phone will automatically receive the latest OS and security updates for at least 3 years; the custom-made Titan M chip helps secure the operating system and sensitive data, like passwords
- Take vibrant photos on your phone even in the dark with Night Sight, bring studio-quality light to your pictures of people with Portrait Light; and get more scenery and people in the shot with the rear-facing ultrawide lens
- With Call Screen, Google Assistant filters out detected spammers without interrupting you and provides helpful information about callers you don’t recognize before you answer your phone
- With HD Google Duo screen sharing, you can read articles, watch live sports, and video chat with friends and family
- Phone includes a 3.5 mm audio jack for maximum flexibility, so it works with the wired or Bluetooth headphones you already have
Samsung is offering Samsung Galaxy S21 5G and Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G Trade in Deal from $99.99 with a Qualifying Device Trade-In. Expires: 3/4/2021
Note: Device trade in must be in good condition to qualify. If you cancel wireless service, credit may stop and remaining balance on required finance agreement may be due, so payoff your current phone first.
Samsung S51 5G 6.2inch 128GB unlocked $799.99 Free Shipping.
- $700 Trade in on iPhone 12, Mini, Pro or Pro Max
- $700 Trade in on Samsung S20 5G, Plus, Ultra, Note
- $550 Trade in iPhone 11 or XS
- $500 Trade in Samsung Note 10
- Select Unlocked under Carrier, Color, Trade in
Bundle the Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G and Galaxy Watch3. Save up to $1000 Expires 1/28/2021Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: February 25, 2021 11:59 PM PST
Valentine's Sale. ATT Wireless has Switch to ATT: iPhone 11 $10/mon or Samsung S20 FE 5G $15/month, Free Shipping. Expires: 3/1/2021
- iPhone 11 $10/mo. No trade in required!
- Samsung S20FE 5G $15/mo. No trade in required!
- $30 activation/upgrade fee
- Bill credits over 30 month installments
- Credits start within 3 bills. Trade-in credits, if any, start within 3 bills after trade-in is completed. You will receive catch-up credits once bill credits start.
Posted: February 25, 2021 11:59 PM PST
Samsung has a Samsung Trade-In Promo: Trade Galaxy S10, Get Note20 5G Smartphone for $449.99 after $550 Instant Credit Off when you trade an eligible Samsung Galaxy Smartphone Device - Free Shipping. Expires: 3/4/2021
- This great deal makes sense only if you have a Galaxy S10 to trade in. S7-S9 yield a lot less trade in value.
Note, qualifying device must be in working condition, otherwise, devices in lower condition may receive lower value/rejected. Cracked-screen trade in credit is available from $499.99.
- Click this link here
- Select your choice of carrier from Unlocked to AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile & More
- Select your choice of colorway
- Mystic Bronze
- Mystic Green
- Mystic Gray
- Mystic Red
- Click on 'Trade in my Phone"
- Proceed to select the qualifying phone you are trading in to receive instant credit
- Select Samsung, Apple, Google brand are eligible
- Proceed to checkout
- Follow the remaining instructions to send your eligible smartphone in to receive your trade-in value credit
Trade in Values
Galaxy S20 $650
Galaxy S20 Plus $650
Galaxy S20 Ultra $650
Galaxy Note 10 $500
Galaxy Note 10 Plus $500
Galaxy Note 10+ 5G $500
Galaxy S10 $500
Galaxy S10 5G $500
Galaxy S10 Plus $500
Galaxy S10e $500
Galaxy S10 FE $500
Galaxy Note 9 $300
Galaxy S9 $300
Galaxy S9 Plus $300
Additional Savings with Carrier Financing:
- Use promo code 100SAMSUNGN20U at checkout and activate on Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile Networks and get your Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G for $349.99 with Trade-in or as low as $249.99 with Trade-In if purchased with carrier financing (Verizon or AT&T only).
Posted: February 24, 2021 6:59 AM PST
Time to switch to a better carrier with a new iPhone 12 with Unlimited.. Up to $700 off iPhone 12, 12 Pro, 12Pro Max 5G - AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile when you activate service and trade in select phones. Deals are way better than expected, time to upgrade and switch carriers. If you have anything older than an iPhone X, to time to upgrade.
Wireless companies are giving phones away in exchange for locking you in for 30 months of bill credits.
Unlock your credit report if you locked it to pass credit checks.
Special iPhone 12 Promotions when you Switch
- AT&T: New and existing customers get the amazing iPhone 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro max, 12 mini for $700 off with iPhone 8 or newer trade in and 30 AT&T Bill Credits. Fineprint
- Verizon: Get up to $750 with trade-in on new line, activation. These phones qualify for this offer: Apple iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro or iPhone 12 Pro Max. Expires Soon
Xfinity: $250 off iPhone 12 when you switch to Xfinity
- T-Mobile: Up To $830 Off 12 Pro Max or 12 Pro (via 30 Monthly Bill Credits) with a Qualifying Device Trade-In valid for New Lines Only/Auto Pay only.
- Verizon iPhone SE 64GB Free when you Switch. 50% off activation online. Expires Soon
Some Older phones are available with less trade in. Trading in is a lot easier than selling your phone on eBay or Craigslist.
New iPhones 12:
- iPhone 12: Starts at $799 (64GB), $8749 (128GB), $949 (256GB)
- iPhone 12 Pro: Starts at $999 (128GB), $1,099 (256GB), $1,299 (512GB)
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: Starts at $1,099 (128GB), $1,199 (256GB), $1,399 (512GB)
- iPhone 12 Mini: 5.4" screen but same as iPhone 12! Starts at $699
AT&T Unlimited Starter Plan
- 1 Line $65/mon for Unlimited Talk, Text, Web, DVD Quality Streaming, Max 3Mbps data speed, No Hotspot
- 5G Access
- Standard Mobile Security
- 5 lines for $150
- Plus tax & fees
AT&T Special Trade-In Offer: Monthly Price reflects net monthly payment, after application of AT&T trade-in credit up to $800 applied over 30 months after trade-in of eligible smartphone with min. $95 trade-in value. Requires upgrade of an existing line (or activation of a new line in stores) and purchase of a new iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max on qualifying 30 month 0% APR installment plan, subject to carrier credit qualification.
Verizon StartUnlimited Plan
- 1 Line $70 for Unlimited Talk, Text, Web, DVD Quality Streaming, Unlimited Hotspot (600kbps)
- 5G Nationwide
- Disney+ 6 month on Verizon
- Apple Music Free for 6 months
- Plus tax & fees
Verizon Special Trade-in Offer: Monthly price reflects net monthly payment, after Apple instant trade-in credit at checkout, and Verizon monthly bill credits applied over 24 months. Customer must remain in the Verizon Device Payment Program for 24 months to receive the full benefit of the Verizon bill credits. Bill credits may take 1-2 bill cycles to appear. If it takes two cycles for bill credits to appear, you’ll see the credit for the first cycle on your second bill in addition to that month’s credit. Requires purchase and activation of a new iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max with the Verizon Device Payment Program at 0% APR for 24 months, subject to carrier credit qualification, and iPhone availability and limits.
T-Mobile Essentials Plan
- 1 line $65/month, 4 lines $105/month
- Unlimited Talk Text and Web
- DVD quality SD Streaming 480p
- 3G Mobile hotspot
- T-Mobile Tuesdays
Smartphone Product Cycle
The cellular industry is built around yearly releases of major products. Samsung and Apple introduce new flagship devices every year. Each year, customers have to make a decision whether they want to break their contract to upgrade to the newest Smartphone.
The JUMP! plan allows users to upgrade as often as they would like (up to 3 times a year) without incurring penalties. There is always a catch, so we will examine the plan in detail. Most articles have labeled the JUMP! Plan as expensive and a way for T-Mobile to generate more revenue. Our analysis will give you hard numbers on the exact costs.
T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan
Here are the main features of this T-Mobile Smartphone Plan:
- Get a new Smartphone whenever you want
- Upgrade up to 3 times a year
- When upgrading, you will trade in your eligible device
- Get credit for remaining device payments, up to 50% of the original cost
- Replace damaged or lost devices through premium device protection ($8/month) - You do have to pay a deductible
- Lookout Mobile Security for Android is included
- You can remove JUMP! from your plan at any time
How to Start a JUMP! Plan
Here is how you begin a new JUMP! Plan on T-Mobile:
- Buy a new Smartphone or Tablet - finance your device
- Select a Simple Choice Plan
- Subscribe to JUMP! On Demand
- You can now upgrade at any time
- You can enroll within 14 days of purchase
Customers pay the normal monthly installment payment, which is the cost of the smartphone divided into 24 monthly payments. Typically $679.99 / 24 = $28.33 a month.
T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan for iPhone 6 or Samsung Galaxy S6
We will list out the charges due when you setup a JUMP! Plan for two of the most popular Smartphones on the T-Mobile network.
iPhone 6 16GB or Galaxy S6 32GB with JUMP! On Demand Plan. This allows us to upgrade after one year.
Amount due at sale:
$0 free activation with Simple Choice Plan
$15 SIM Starter Kit
Free standard shipping
Sales tax on full value of phone $57 in our area.
Total due at time of sale: $0 + $15 + tax = $72
$26.24/month x 24 mos. installment charge for iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6
$60/month Simple Choice Plan 3GB with unlimited talk and text
Total due each month: $86.24 + tax
Amount paid after one year:
$87 X 12 months = $1044 + $15 + $57 Initial Sales Tax = $1116 + tax.
You can get a new Smartphone at anytime
Amount Paid to fulfill handset payments: (24 months)
$87 X 24 months = $2088 +$15 + $57 Initial Sales Tax = $2160 + tax
iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6 value is now roughly $250
No Surprise – this is $240 More than normal 2 year plan! You're basically paying how much the handset is worth in extra JUMP! fees.
Costs When Upgrading After 1 year
Lets pretend that we started our plan with an iPhone 6 or Samsung Galaxy S6, kept it for a year, then upgraded to the iPhone 6S or Galaxy S7. Here are the costs involved:
First two years of Smartphone Ownership:
Year 1: iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6 $1111 + tax
We upgrade to a new Smartphone after one year. Trade in the existing Smartphone. Remaining payments $27/month x 12 = $324. T-Mobile will pay 50%, meaning that you will pay $162 at time of upgrade.
Year 2: iPhone 6S or Galaxy S7 $162 + $1111 = $1273 + tax
Total cost for 2 years: $2384 + tax
$469 premium using JUMP! on demand over a standard 2 year contract - but we upgraded to a new phone. You did not get to keep the iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6 though.
Caveat – you do not own the phone, and had to trade in the first phone after the first year.
Anytime you want, you are ready to get another phone!
When is the T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan worthwhile?
There are specific situations where the JUMP! Plan is worth considering. One of these situations might depend on your timing on fulfilling the contract.
- If you want to have the latest Smartphone
- You do not like the hassle of selling your phone and upgrading
- When T-Mobile has good service in your area and you plan to stick with them
The AT&T Next Plan can be cheaper and has situations where it is more cost effective.
Unlocking T-Mobile Smartphones
If you wish to use your Smartphone Internationally or with a different wireless carrier's SIM card, you need to unlock your phone. T-Mobile does allow you to unlock Smartphones with SIM slot right away by calling customer service. Here are the requirements:
- The Smartphone to be used for one day within the last 7 days before requesting an unlock code.
- The line needs to have been activated at least 40 days since first use
- Account needs to be in good standing
AT&T Wirelesswaits until you fulfill your contract. This is much better for international travelers.
T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan adds more ways for Smartphone owners to upgrade to the latest technology without waiting 2 years for their contract to be fulfilled. If you are a frequent upgrader, you should do the math and consider this plan.
Do you have a different opinion or a suggestion? Please leave a comment below.