T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Upgradeable Smartphone Plan Review
T-Mobile created a new wireless plan called T-Mobile JUMP! to address the needs of customers who want to upgrade to the latest and greatest Smartphone when a new device is available or when you are tired of your current phone. This was later renamed to JUMP! On Demand in June 2015.
Normal Smartphone plans in America require shoppers to commit to a 2 year contract. People cannot change phones during this time unless they want to pay an expensive early termination fee (ETF), for cancelling their contract. With this new program, you can upgrade as many as 3 times a year, more often than AT&T Wireless or Verizon Wireless. As you read our T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand review, you will see how much it costs and whether it is worth signing up for.
JUMP! On Demand Features:
- Never pay to upgrade, just trade in unwanted device
- Zero upfront for new phone
- No waiting 2 years to upgrade
$0 at signing + $X/mo. for 18-months on approved credit. If you cancel wireless service, remaining payments become due & you must return working device.
T-Mobile Jump ON Demand started in June 2015 with the hottest phones at the time: iPhone 6 and 6 plus, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, Note 4, and LG's G4.
T-Mobile changes its plans from time to time, so we will reexamine them when necessary. Additional short term promotions may popup. They have already adjusted this plan to make it more attractive. They dropped the 6 month requirement before you can upgrade.
June 2015 JUMP! Changes
- T-Mobile dropped the $10 a month charge in June 2015, but charges $8 a month if you want the insurance that was included with the $10 monthly charge. (AT&T and Verizon never charged extra for this)
- With the 24 installment payments, you make 18 monthly, then must pay the 6 remaining at one time. (Few will wait this long before upgrading)
Upgrading early with a 2 year Contract
With a traditional 2 year Smartphone contract, a user wanting to upgrade to a new handset would have to pay the following:
- $350 Smartphone early termination fee ($10 less with each passing month)
- $649.99 or full price instead of $199 for the new phone
- Another 2 year commitment
- If you cancel a contract, you will lose your phone number
- You need to pay off the phone’s remaining balance
This is a steep price, hence the JUMP! Plan was born.
Free 1 Year Sprint Unlimited When You Bring Your Device Expires: 1/31/2019
Save over $800 in the first year!
SIM card costs $2.99 plus $10 shipping.
- Get Unlimited data, talk & text free for 1 year
- Keep your phone and phone number
- No annual contracts, no activation fees - a $30 savings!
- Works with most iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones
- Their network has significantly improved over the last year
Savings until 1/31/20; then $60/mo. for line 1, $40/mo for line 2 and $20/mo/line for lines 3-5. Reqs. AutoPay (discount applied w/in 2 invoices), new account, bring your own eligible device & Sprint SIM card. Savings claim compared to AT&T Unlimited & More and Verizon Go Unlimited rate plans for 1 line; features differ. Video streams up to 480p, music up to 500 Kbps, gaming up to 2 Mbps. Data deprioritization during congestion. Other monthly charges apply.**Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: January 19, 2019 12:29 AM PST
- 24-hour / 500-song playtime powered by a built-in high capacity Li-ion battery
- Compatible with all Bluetooth-enabled devices. Instantly connect to your smartphone or tablet from up to 66 feet away. SoundCore reconnects automatically to the last device used. Built-in mic for hands-free calls.
- Bluetooth 4.0 Technology
Posted: January 18, 2019 8:30 AM PST
Over 3000 bought. eBay (buyspry, 166,000 feedback) has an iPhone 7 Unlocked 32GB Refurbished Smartphone Sale, $259.50 - free shipping. Tax only in MD. 2% back in eBay bucks. Only in Pink.
iPhone 7 128GB Black Refurbished $259.99 Free Shipping.
Just say no to a $749 iPhone!
- Better Battery Life
- New and improved camera (f1.8)
- Optical image stabilization
- No Headphone Jack (Comes with lightning adapter cable)
Consider purchasing an unlocked cell phone if you are on AT&T or T-Mobile and want a new Smartphone without a contract. Unlocked Smartphones allow you to subscribe to low cost carriers mentioned below and function internationally, so you can use the same phone abroad.
Learn: No-Contract Plans, Unlocked Smartphones
Choosing the right plan for you is time consuming and can also be a hassle. We've done the research and you may save over $1,000 each year! Be sure to check out our no-contract Smartphone plan article: How to Find the Best No Contract Smartphone Plans where we compare all of the major network carriers. Check out our How to Buy an Unlocked iPhone article to learn what it means to have an "Unlocked" Smartphone.
About Apple iPhone 7:
The Apple iPhone 7 comes with a new faster Apple A10 Fusion processor and runs on iOS 10. It has a a longer, larger 4.7" Retina display with a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating. Cnet calls the redesign "sharp, slim, and feather-light."
Apple iOS 10 includes Airdrop, Siri, Family Sharing, QuickType Keyboard and more.
However the iPhone 7's new improved Lightning connector makes older docks and chargers obsolete. On the plus side, the new connector is a bit smaller, a little more rugged and easier to use than the previous one.
CNet gives the Apple iPhone 7 a 4.5 out of 5 rating.
Apple iPhone 7 Specifications:
- 12Mpixel iSight rear camera f1.8, 7Mpixel Facetime camera
- 1080p HD video recording (30 fps or 60 fps)
- 4K video recording at 30 fps
- Apple A10 Fusion quad-core 1.30GHz processor
- Apple M8 motion coprocessor
- iOS 11
- 4.7" Retina HD 1334x750 resolution touchscreen @ 326ppi
- Wide color display (P3)
- Bluetooth 4.0
- 1400:1 contrast ratio
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi
- IP67 Rating: Splash, Water & Dust Resistant
- upto 14 hr talk time on 3G, upto 10 days standby
- 4.87 ounces (138 grams)
- 5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 inches
- 2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 + CDMA 800 / 1900 / 2100
- 3G Network: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 + CDMA2000 1xEV-DO & TD-SCDMA
- 4G Network: LTE Band 1(2100) / 2(1900) / 3(1800) / 4(1700/2100) / 5(850) / 7(2600) / 8(900) / 12(700) / 13(700) / 17(700) / 18(800) / 19(800) / 20(800) / 25(1900) / 26(850) / 27(800) / 28(700) / 29(700) / 30(2300) / 38(2600) / 39(1900) / 40(2300) / 41(2500)
Low Cost Service Plan with Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data
T-Mobile offers a web exclusive pre-paid plan great for unlocked phones:
- $40/mo for Unlimited Talk & Text with 3GB of LTE Data
Straight Talk, a prepaid carrier that is owned by Tracfone and Walmart, sells micro SIM cards for the that cost $14.99 + Free Shipping. You can pop these into any AT&T-compatible, T-Mobile-compatible, or unlocked GSM phone.
- $45 a month buys you unlimited talk, text and 5GB high speed data with no contract or credit check
Posted: January 17, 2019 9:40 AM PST
- Free Glass Screen protector ($20 value)
42mm GPS+Cellular $299 Free Shipping
- Other models available, most are $100 off retail
- This model will work with the new upgraded AppleWatch operating system.
Apple Sports Watch 3 Includes:
- Brand New Apple Watch Sport Aluminum Case with Sport Band iWatch (Please Choose Color Desired When Making Purchase)
- Magnetic Charging Cable
- Sport Band
Posted: January 17, 2019 6:10 AM PST
Time toSswitch to a better carrier with Unlimited.. Lease an iPhone XR, XS, XS Max Sprint, Get an XR Free when you activate New service. Requires 18 mo. lease, new line or eligible upgrade. On approved credit. Expires Soon
How to Get Deal
Click Shop Now
Click Details next to: Tis the season! Get the iPhone XR on us
- Lease an iPhone XR, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xs or iPhone X and get an iPhone XR on us (or save more than $550 towards the iPhone Xs Max, Xs or X).
iPhone XR 64GB $31.25/mo. iPhone XS 64GB $41.67/mo. iPhone XS Max 64GB $45.84/mo. iPhone X 64GB $37.50/mo. Second iPhone gets $31.25/mo. credit, applied within 2 bills. Req. 2 new lines or 1 new and 1 upgrade, 18-month leases & approved credit. If you cancel early, remaining balance due. Excludes tax.
If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due. approved credit. Monthly bill credit starts within 2 bills. Excludes tax.
- New Unlimited Plans from $60/month. Expires Soon
Unlock your credit report if you locked it.
iPhone XR Specifications
- 6 different colors
- 6.1" Super Retina Edge-to-Edge 1792x828 (326ppi) Screen
- Super fast A12 Bionic Chip CPU
- Single 12MPixel rear camera with Optical Image Stabilization
- 7MPixel front camera with Retina Flash
- Wireless charging using Qi industry standard
- FaceID to unlock phone
- iOS 12
’Tis the season! Get the iPhone XR on us.
Lease an iPhone XR, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xs or iPhone X and get an iPhone XR on us (or save more than $550 towards the iPhone Xs Max, Xs or X).
iPhone XR 64GB $31.25/mo. iPhone XS 64GB $41.67/mo. iPhone XS Max 64GB $45.84/mo. iPhone X 64GB $37.50/mo. Second iPhone gets $31.25/mo. credit, applied within 2 bills. Req. 2 new lines or 1 new and 1 upgrade, 18-month leases & approved credit. If you cancel early, remaining balance due. Excludes tax.Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: January 17, 2019 12:00 AM PST
Smartphone Product Cycle
The cellular industry is built around yearly releases of major products. Samsung and Apple introduce new flagship devices every year. Each year, customers have to make a decision whether they want to break their contract to upgrade to the newest Smartphone.
The JUMP! plan allows users to upgrade as often as they would like (up to 3 times a year) without incurring penalties. There is always a catch, so we will examine the plan in detail. Most articles have labeled the JUMP! Plan as expensive and a way for T-Mobile to generate more revenue. Our analysis will give you hard numbers on the exact costs.
T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan
Here are the main features of this T-Mobile Smartphone Plan:
- Get a new Smartphone whenever you want
- Upgrade up to 3 times a year
- When upgrading, you will trade in your eligible device
- Get credit for remaining device payments, up to 50% of the original cost
- Replace damaged or lost devices through premium device protection ($8/month) - You do have to pay a deductible
- Lookout Mobile Security for Android is included
- You can remove JUMP! from your plan at any time
How to Start a JUMP! Plan
Here is how you begin a new JUMP! Plan on T-Mobile:
- Buy a new Smartphone or Tablet - finance your device
- Select a Simple Choice Plan
- Subscribe to JUMP! On Demand
- You can now upgrade at any time
- You can enroll within 14 days of purchase
Customers pay the normal monthly installment payment, which is the cost of the smartphone divided into 24 monthly payments. Typically $679.99 / 24 = $28.33 a month.
T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan for iPhone 6 or Samsung Galaxy S6
We will list out the charges due when you setup a JUMP! Plan for two of the most popular Smartphones on the T-Mobile network.
iPhone 6 16GB or Galaxy S6 32GB with JUMP! On Demand Plan. This allows us to upgrade after one year.
Amount due at sale:
$0 free activation with Simple Choice Plan
$15 SIM Starter Kit
Free standard shipping
Sales tax on full value of phone $57 in our area.
Total due at time of sale: $0 + $15 + tax = $72
$26.24/month x 24 mos. installment charge for iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6
$60/month Simple Choice Plan 3GB with unlimited talk and text
Total due each month: $86.24 + tax
Amount paid after one year:
$87 X 12 months = $1044 + $15 + $57 Initial Sales Tax = $1116 + tax.
You can get a new Smartphone at anytime
Amount Paid to fulfill handset payments: (24 months)
$87 X 24 months = $2088 +$15 + $57 Initial Sales Tax = $2160 + tax
iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6 value is now roughly $250
No Surprise – this is $240 More than normal 2 year plan! You're basically paying how much the handset is worth in extra JUMP! fees.
Costs When Upgrading After 1 year
Lets pretend that we started our plan with an iPhone 6 or Samsung Galaxy S6, kept it for a year, then upgraded to the iPhone 6S or Galaxy S7. Here are the costs involved:
First two years of Smartphone Ownership:
Year 1: iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6 $1111 + tax
We upgrade to a new Smartphone after one year. Trade in the existing Smartphone. Remaining payments $27/month x 12 = $324. T-Mobile will pay 50%, meaning that you will pay $162 at time of upgrade.
Year 2: iPhone 6S or Galaxy S7 $162 + $1111 = $1273 + tax
Total cost for 2 years: $2384 + tax
$469 premium using JUMP! on demand over a standard 2 year contract - but we upgraded to a new phone. You did not get to keep the iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6 though.
Caveat – you do not own the phone, and had to trade in the first phone after the first year.
Anytime you want, you are ready to get another phone!
When is the T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan worthwhile?
There are specific situations where the JUMP! Plan is worth considering. One of these situations might depend on your timing on fulfilling the contract.
- If you want to have the latest Smartphone
- You do not like the hassle of selling your phone and upgrading
- When T-Mobile has good service in your area and you plan to stick with them
The AT&T Next Plan can be cheaper and has situations where it is more cost effective.
Unlocking T-Mobile Smartphones
If you wish to use your Smartphone Internationally or with a different wireless carrier's SIM card, you need to unlock your phone. T-Mobile does allow you to unlock Smartphones with SIM slot right away by calling customer service. Here are the requirements:
- The Smartphone to be used for one day within the last 7 days before requesting an unlock code.
- The line needs to have been activated at least 40 days since first use
- Account needs to be in good standing
AT&T Wirelesswaits until you fulfill your contract. This is much better for international travelers.
T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan adds more ways for Smartphone owners to upgrade to the latest technology without waiting 2 years for their contract to be fulfilled. If you are a frequent upgrader, you should do the math and consider this plan.
Do you have a different opinion or a suggestion? Please leave a comment below.