T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Upgradeable Smartphone Plan Review
T-Mobile created a new wireless plan called T-Mobile JUMP! to address the needs of customers who want to upgrade to the latest and greatest Smartphone when a new device is available or when you are tired of your current phone. This was later renamed to JUMP! On Demand in June 2015.
Normal Smartphone plans in America require shoppers to commit to a 2 year contract. People cannot change phones during this time unless they want to pay an expensive early termination fee (ETF), for cancelling their contract. With this new program, you can upgrade as many as 3 times a year, more often than AT&T Wireless or Verizon Wireless. As you read our T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand review, you will see how much it costs and whether it is worth signing up for.
JUMP! On Demand Features:
- Never pay to upgrade, just trade in unwanted device
- Zero upfront for new phone
- No waiting 2 years to upgrade
$0 at signing + $X/mo. for 18-months on approved credit. If you cancel wireless service, remaining payments become due & you must return working device.
T-Mobile Jump ON Demand started in June 2015 with the hottest phones at the time: iPhone 6 and 6 plus, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, Note 4, and LG's G4.
T-Mobile changes its plans from time to time, so we will reexamine them when necessary. Additional short term promotions may popup. They have already adjusted this plan to make it more attractive. They dropped the 6 month requirement before you can upgrade.
June 2015 JUMP! Changes
- T-Mobile dropped the $10 a month charge in June 2015, but charges $8 a month if you want the insurance that was included with the $10 monthly charge. (AT&T and Verizon never charged extra for this)
- With the 24 installment payments, you make 18 monthly, then must pay the 6 remaining at one time. (Few will wait this long before upgrading)
Upgrading early with a 2 year Contract
With a traditional 2 year Smartphone contract, a user wanting to upgrade to a new handset would have to pay the following:
- $350 Smartphone early termination fee ($10 less with each passing month)
- $649.99 or full price instead of $199 for the new phone
- Another 2 year commitment
- If you cancel a contract, you will lose your phone number
- You need to pay off the phone’s remaining balance
This is a steep price, hence the JUMP! Plan was born.
Time to switch. T-Mobile Buy 1 Get 1 Free Samsung S9 or iPhone via prepaid card, when you sign up for new T-Mobile plan for a limited time. Expires Soon or while supplies last.
- Samsung Galaxy S9, S9+ Buy 1 Get 1 free
- Buy an iPhone 7, 7 plus, 8, 8 plus, or X port at least one line over, and trade-in, get another equal or lesser value free (up to $700) via mail in rebate
- T-Mobile ONE plans include Netflix. 2+ qualifying lines required.
With 24 monthly bill credits when you add two qualifying lines of service. If you cancel wireless service, credits may stop & remaining balance is due. For well-qualified customers. Full tax on pre-rebate price for both devices due at sale. SIM starter kit required.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Specs
- 5.8in Infinity Screen
- Bixby assistant
- Wireless fast charging
- Water resistant
- Android 7 Nougat
- Front 8MP and rear 12MP F1.7 camera with autofocus and optical image stabilization
- 802.11ac wireless
Competition is good, Verizon added a new Unlimited plan, so T-Mobile is one upping them.
- $70 for one Unlimited line - no other fees
- $120 for two Unlimited lines ALL IN
- $160 for four Unlimited lines ALL IN
- They now pay for your Taxes & Fees
Kickback! Get back a $10 Bill Credit for each line that uses less than 2GB of Data.
Switch to T-Mobile
Switch to T-Mobile and get a $150 Prepaid MasterCard per line. That is $600 for a family of 4. Expires Soon
T-Mobile ONE Plan
- Unlimited Talk, text, 4G LTE data
- Unlimited Streaming video and music
- Unlimited travel Abroad + GOGO
- The new plan has some gotchas
- On all plans, during congestion the top 3% of data users (>26GB/mo.) may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle. Video typically streams on smartphone/tablet at DVD quality (480p). Tethering at Max 3G speeds.
- One Plan Caps hotspot usage to 2G speeds unless you pay extra $15/month
- One Plan Throttles video to 480p unless you pay extra $25/month
- Prices are $5 higher for customers who do not enable automatic payments
T-Mobile Plans have these special features
- Free video streaming with select services - Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, etc..
- No limits or overage fees
- Jump! on Demand to upgrade to a new phone
- Free Data Roaming and texting in 140+ countries
- Upto $650 trade in when switching carriers
Posted: July 19, 2018 12:00 PM PDT
Learn: No-Contract Plans, Unlocked Smartphones
Choosing the right plan for you is time consuming and can also be a hassle. We've done the research and you may save over $1,000 each year! Be sure to check out our no-contract Smartphone plan article: How to Find the Best No Contract Smartphone Plans where we compare all of the major network carriers. Check out our How to Buy an Unlocked iPhone article to learn what it means to have an "Unlocked" Smartphone.
About Apple iPhone 6:
The Apple iPhone 6 comes with a new faster Apple A8 processor (ironically made by Samsung) and runs on iOS 10. It has a a longer, larger 4.7" Retina display with a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating. Cnet calls the redesign "sharp, slim, and feather-light."
Apple iOS 10 includes Airdrop, New Siri, Family Sharing, QuickType Keyboard and more.
However the iPhone 6's new improved Lightning connector makes older docks and chargers obsolete. On the plus side, the new connector is a bit smaller, a little more rugged and easier to use than the previous one.
CNet gives the Apple iPhone 6 a 4.5 out of 5 rating.
Apple iPhone 6 Specifications:
- 8Mpixel iSight rear camera f2.2, 1.2Mpixel Facetime camera
- 1080p HD video recording (30 fps or 60 fps)
- Apple A8 quad-core 1.30GHz processor
- Apple M8 motion coprocessor
- iOS 11
- 4.7" Retina HD 1334x750 resolution touchscreen
- Bluetooth 4.0
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi
- upto 14 hr talk time on 3G, upto 10 days standby
- 6.07 ounces
Low Cost No Contract Service Plan with Unlimited Talk, Text, and Web
Straight Talk, a prepaid carrier that is owned by Tracfone and Walmart, sells micro SIM cards for the that cost $14.99 + Free Shipping. You can pop these into any AT&T-compatible, T-Mobile-compatible, or unlocked GSM phone.
- $45 a month buys you unlimited talk, text and 5GB high speed data with no contract or credit check
Posted: July 19, 2018 9:00 AM PDT
Celebrate Spring. eBay 20% off $50 - Adidas Shoes, Dyson Vac and more.. is available using Coupon Code: PRIMO Expires: 07/21/2018 11:59pm PST - Works on their specific list of sellers. While Supplies last, so hurry. Good for 2 uses only. Must pay with PayPal. 2% back in eBay Bucks. $50 minimum purchase. Maximum discount $50.
- Adidas NMD_R2 Primeknit Shoes Men's $79.99 - Coupon = $64 Free Shipping. ($170)
- Adidas NMD_R2 Primeknit Shoes women's $79.99 - Coupon = $64 Free Shipping. ($170)
- Puma Vedano Men's Shoes $69.99 - Coupon = $55.99 Free Shipping.
- Dyson SV04 V6 Cordless Vac Refurbished $199.99 - coupon = $160 Free Shipping. ($600)
- Dyson UP13 Ball Multi Floor Origin Vac Refurbished $299.99 - coupon = $249 Free Shipping. ($600)
- Hoover Uplight Deluxe Vac $99.99 - Coupon = $79.99 Free Shipping.
- Stowabike 26" MTV V2 folding dual suspension bike $149.99 - Coupon = $120 Free Shipping.
- Parrot Bebop Quadcopter Drone Manufacturer Refurbished $119.99 - Code = $96 Free Shipping.
- SuperDry Jacket Mens 1812 $60 - 20% = $48 Free Shipping.
- SuperDry Jacket Mens Winter Longhorn Jacket $61.50 - 20% = $49 Free Shipping.
- Wrangler Blue Mens Comfort Fit straight leg jeans $12.97 - Buy 4 pairs and use coupon.
- Worx WG050 AeroCart 8in1 Wheel Barrow $119 - Code = $95.20 Free Shipping
- Worx Tools extra 20% off using code.
Dyson HD01 Supersonic Hair Dryer Refurbished $269.99 - code = $213.99 Free Shipping. ($400)
DuroMax Dual Fuel Propane Generator $529 - coupon = $423 Free Shipping.
Hoover Vacuum Stick $89.99 - coupon = $72 Free Shipping.
Dyson SV10 V8 Absolute Cordless Vacuum Refurbished $349.99 - coupon = $299,99 Free Shipping.
This Coupon is a 20% discount valid from 6:00 AM PT July 17, 2018 until 11:59 PM PT on July 21, 2018. Discount applies to the purchase price (excluding shipping, handling, and taxes) of an eligible item(s) of $50 or more on ebay.com, cafr.ebay.ca, and ebay.ca. Eligible items are item(s) purchased from the sellers listed below. The discount will be applied to eligible item(s) only and will be capped at a value of $50. Eligible items exclude warranties and protection plans.Promo Code: PRIMO
Sales tax in: Depends on seller
Posted: July 19, 2018 8:00 AM PDT
Lowest price. Freedom Pop 100% Free Mobile Phone Service with 3-in-1 SIM Kit, $1.99 activation fee, Free Shipping. 100% FREE Talk, Text, Data/month with the 3-in-1 4G LTE SIM Kit plus 1GB Bonus Data and 1-Month Unlimited Talk, Text, 2GB Data Trial Premium Service Trial for the first month for only $1.99 Activation with Free Shipping.
No annual contract. Just plug into your unlocked GSM smartphone. A great deal for those with lesser use requirements or when travelling Internationally.
- 3-In-1 Domestic 4G LTE SIM Kit
- FreedomPop Premium Plus Trial - Free 2GB
Their Premium service plan is Free first month, $27.99/month thereafter if you do not call to cancel or downgrade. Unlimited talk, text, 1GB 4G LTE High speed data on Sprint's network.
- Cancel the BEFORE the Premium trial is over to avoid charges
We suggest you downgrade from Premium to FreedomPop's 100% Free Plan with:
- 200 Voice Minutes
- 500 Texts
- 200MB free per month
Learn: No-Contract Plans
Choosing the right plan for you is time consuming and can also be a hassle. We've done the research and you may save over $1,000 each year! Be sure to check out our no-contract Smartphone plan article: How to Find the Best No Contract Smartphone Plans where we compare all of the major network carriers.Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: July 15, 2018 6:00 AM PDT
Time to switch. Verizon Wireless has Switch to Verizon - Buy 1 Get 1 Samsung S9, S9+, Note 8, Pixel 2/2XL, iPhone 8 when you sign up for an Unlimited plan and activate a new line. No trade in required. Expires: 07/22/2018
- 1 Line $75 for Unlimited Talk, Text, Web, DVD Quality Streaming, Unlimited Hotspot (600kbps)
- 4 lines for $160
Up to $960 device payment purchase per device required. 2nd phone of equal or lesser value & of same manufacturer: less up to $799.99 promo credit applied to account over 24 mos w/in 1 billing cycle; promo credit ends when balance paid or line terminated/transferred; 0% APR. New line of service required.Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: July 13, 2018 6:01 AM PDT
Smartphone Product Cycle
The cellular industry is built around yearly releases of major products. Samsung and Apple introduce new flagship devices every year. Each year, customers have to make a decision whether they want to break their contract to upgrade to the newest Smartphone.
The JUMP! plan allows users to upgrade as often as they would like (up to 3 times a year) without incurring penalties. There is always a catch, so we will examine the plan in detail. Most articles have labeled the JUMP! Plan as expensive and a way for T-Mobile to generate more revenue. Our analysis will give you hard numbers on the exact costs.
T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan
Here are the main features of this T-Mobile Smartphone Plan:
- Get a new Smartphone whenever you want
- Upgrade up to 3 times a year
- When upgrading, you will trade in your eligible device
- Get credit for remaining device payments, up to 50% of the original cost
- Replace damaged or lost devices through premium device protection ($8/month) - You do have to pay a deductible
- Lookout Mobile Security for Android is included
- You can remove JUMP! from your plan at any time
How to Start a JUMP! Plan
Here is how you begin a new JUMP! Plan on T-Mobile:
- Buy a new Smartphone or Tablet - finance your device
- Select a Simple Choice Plan
- Subscribe to JUMP! On Demand
- You can now upgrade at any time
- You can enroll within 14 days of purchase
Customers pay the normal monthly installment payment, which is the cost of the smartphone divided into 24 monthly payments. Typically $679.99 / 24 = $28.33 a month.
T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan for iPhone 6 or Samsung Galaxy S6
We will list out the charges due when you setup a JUMP! Plan for two of the most popular Smartphones on the T-Mobile network.
iPhone 6 16GB or Galaxy S6 32GB with JUMP! On Demand Plan. This allows us to upgrade after one year.
Amount due at sale:
$0 free activation with Simple Choice Plan
$15 SIM Starter Kit
Free standard shipping
Sales tax on full value of phone $57 in our area.
Total due at time of sale: $0 + $15 + tax = $72
$26.24/month x 24 mos. installment charge for iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6
$60/month Simple Choice Plan 3GB with unlimited talk and text
Total due each month: $86.24 + tax
Amount paid after one year:
$87 X 12 months = $1044 + $15 + $57 Initial Sales Tax = $1116 + tax.
You can get a new Smartphone at anytime
Amount Paid to fulfill handset payments: (24 months)
$87 X 24 months = $2088 +$15 + $57 Initial Sales Tax = $2160 + tax
iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6 value is now roughly $250
No Surprise – this is $240 More than normal 2 year plan! You're basically paying how much the handset is worth in extra JUMP! fees.
Costs When Upgrading After 1 year
Lets pretend that we started our plan with an iPhone 6 or Samsung Galaxy S6, kept it for a year, then upgraded to the iPhone 6S or Galaxy S7. Here are the costs involved:
First two years of Smartphone Ownership:
Year 1: iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6 $1111 + tax
We upgrade to a new Smartphone after one year. Trade in the existing Smartphone. Remaining payments $27/month x 12 = $324. T-Mobile will pay 50%, meaning that you will pay $162 at time of upgrade.
Year 2: iPhone 6S or Galaxy S7 $162 + $1111 = $1273 + tax
Total cost for 2 years: $2384 + tax
$469 premium using JUMP! on demand over a standard 2 year contract - but we upgraded to a new phone. You did not get to keep the iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6 though.
Caveat – you do not own the phone, and had to trade in the first phone after the first year.
Anytime you want, you are ready to get another phone!
When is the T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan worthwhile?
There are specific situations where the JUMP! Plan is worth considering. One of these situations might depend on your timing on fulfilling the contract.
- If you want to have the latest Smartphone
- You do not like the hassle of selling your phone and upgrading
- When T-Mobile has good service in your area and you plan to stick with them
The AT&T Next Plan can be cheaper and has situations where it is more cost effective.
Unlocking T-Mobile Smartphones
If you wish to use your Smartphone Internationally or with a different wireless carrier's SIM card, you need to unlock your phone. T-Mobile does allow you to unlock Smartphones with SIM slot right away by calling customer service. Here are the requirements:
- The Smartphone to be used for one day within the last 7 days before requesting an unlock code.
- The line needs to have been activated at least 40 days since first use
- Account needs to be in good standing
AT&T Wirelesswaits until you fulfill your contract. This is much better for international travelers.
T-Mobile JUMP! On Demand Plan adds more ways for Smartphone owners to upgrade to the latest technology without waiting 2 years for their contract to be fulfilled. If you are a frequent upgrader, you should do the math and consider this plan.
Do you have a different opinion or a suggestion? Please leave a comment below.