Smartphone Battery Life Tips for iPhone and Android Smartphones
Last Update: August 13, 2015
Battery life is the one characteristic which leads to many Smartphone complaints on how long a battery lasts or what functions and Apps draw too much power. Almost all users have run into situations where their phone runs out of power or when expected battery life is a lot shorter than expected. In this article we will help users extend the battery life of both Android Smartphones and iPhones.
iPhone batteries are designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 full charge and discharge cycles. This is roughly a year and a half of daily battery charging. Your battery will start to deteriorate, at which point, you may wish to replace your battery. Most batteries are designed to last 3 to 5 years, with the average gadget possibly becoming obsolete before then. It makes sense to pay a little attention to how you manage your Smartphone’s battery in order to lengthen the lifespan of your electronics.
Samsung has a Samsung Trade-In Promo: Trade Galaxy S10, Get Note20 5G Smartphone for $449.99 after $550 Instant Credit Off when you trade an eligible Samsung Galaxy Smartphone Device - Free Shipping. Expires: 1/25/2021
Note, qualifying device must be in working condition, otherwise, devices in lower condition may receive lower value/rejected. Cracked-screen trade in credit is available from $499.99.
- Click this link here
- Select your choice of carrier from Unlocked to AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile & More
- Select your choice of colorway
- Mystic Bronze
- Mystic Green
- Mystic Gray
- Mystic Red
- Click on 'Trade in my Phone"
- Proceed to select the qualifying phone you are trading in to receive instant credit
- Select Samsung, Apple, Google brand are eligible
- Proceed to checkout
- Follow the remaining instructions to send your eligible smartphone in to receive your trade-in value credit
Posted: January 23, 2021 7:32 AM PST
Time to switch. Verizon Wireless has Switch to Verizon - Free Motorola One 5G - after 24 monthly bill credits. $549 value. When you sign up for an Unlimited plan and activate a new line. No trade in required. Free 2 day Shipping. Expires: 1/24/2021 - Online only. 50% off Activation fee - only $20 instead of $40.
- Get 5G Access at no extra charge
Play More Unlimited Plan
- 1 Line $80 for 5G, Unlimited Talk, Text, 4G LTE Data, Up to 15GB hotspot, DVD Quality Streaming, Apple Music Free for 6 months. Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ included
- 4 lines for $160
Motorola One 5G Specs
- 6.7" bezel-free display
- 5G optimized Qualcomm Snapdragon 765 processor
- 4GB Memory
- 128GB Storage
- 48MPixel Macro Vision + Ring Light
- Up to 49 hr of usage time
- Up to 11 days of standby
Posted: January 23, 2021 6:39 AM PST
New, unlocked Android phone gives you the flexibility to change carriers and choose your own data plan; works with Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and other major carriers
- Great Value, no need to pay $700-$1000 for an expensive flagship phone!
- If your phone stopped getting monthly security updates, it is time for a new phone
It does not have all the latest bells and whistles but does the job at half the price of top of the line phones. No waterproofing, so use a good case. cnet Review calls it a feature rich budget smartphone
Google Pixel phones get all the latest updates and do not have junkware installed. Comes with 3 years of OS and security updates] and the custom-built Titan M chip.
- New, unlocked Android phone gives you the flexibility to change carriers and choose your own data plan; unlocked smartphone works with T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and other major carriers; not compatible with the Verizon 5G Ultra Wideband network
- 5G capable cell phone gives you an extra boost of speed so you can download a movie in seconds, enjoy smooth streaming in ultra clear HD, play games at home and on the go, and even share your 5G speed with friends
- The all day battery can last up to 48 hours with Extreme Battery Saver
- Your phone will automatically receive the latest OS and security updates for at least 3 years; the custom-made Titan M chip helps secure the operating system and sensitive data, like passwords
- Take vibrant photos on your phone even in the dark with Night Sight, bring studio-quality light to your pictures of people with Portrait Light; and get more scenery and people in the shot with the rear-facing ultrawide lens
- With Call Screen, Google Assistant filters out detected spammers without interrupting you and provides helpful information about callers you don’t recognize before you answer your phone
- With HD Google Duo screen sharing, you can read articles, watch live sports, and video chat with friends and family
- Phone includes a 3.5 mm audio jack for maximum flexibility, so it works with the wired or Bluetooth headphones you already have
Posted: January 21, 2021 5:20 AM PST
For Verizon, AT&T, T–Mobile, Sprint, Boost, Cricket, & Metro
- Pre-installed selection of Amazon apps, including the Amazon Widget, Amazon Shopping, and Amazon Alexa. Prime members have easy access to daily deals, Prime movies and TV shows, Prime Music, Amazon Photos, and more with a single sign-on experience
- Amazon Alexa: Double press the power button to just ask, and Alexa will respond. Alexa can play music, provide news updates, check the weather wherever you are and more
- 6.2" Full HD+ Max Vision display with an 18:9 aspect ratio, 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of internal storage with option to add up to 128 GB of microSD expandable memory, and Android 9
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 1.8 GHz octa-core processor and fast 4G LTE speed
- 12 MP + 5 MP dual rear cameras for studio-quality portraits and 8 MP front-facing camera with LED flash for wide-angle selfies
Posted: January 20, 2021 11:59 PM PST
Over 6200 sold. eBay (quickship, 339k feedback) has a refurbished Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 44mm Smartwatch Sale Priced today only at $149.00, with Free Shipping. $250 new at amazon.
About Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2
The Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 Smartwatch was the first of its kind to launch. The Galaxy Gear Smartwatch is sleek and makes it easy to see incoming calls. However, the watch does lack email and social network support and it may not work on other Android devices.
Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 Features
- 2 microphones
- Auto Lock
- Safety Assist
- Voice Memo
- Find My Device
- Music Controller
- MP4 Video with HD Playback & Recording
- Interactive S-View Window
- Dust and Water Resistant
Posted: January 20, 2021 8:23 AM PST
Black Friday price drop. Walmart has an iPhone SE 2020 64GB Straight Talk Sale, $249.00 Free Shipping. Expires Soon - Black or
Redor White - rated 4.3 out of 5 stars. $50 lower if you activate in store.
Powerful little iPhone with NO contract! Limit 2
- LTE Prepaid Smartphone
- 4" Display
- Multi-touch display
- 12-megapixel iSight camera
- iOS 14 support
On a budget?
Straight Talk iPhone 7 32GB Black $159 Free Shipping ($649)
Phone CardsStraight talk $35 Unlimited 30 day Plan with 3GB of high speed data $45 for 25GB Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: January 19, 2021 11:59 PM PST
Recharging your Smartphone Battery Correctly
Following these tips will help maximize your batteries’ capacity and life span. Batteries will eventually wear out, but there is a lot you can do to extend its shelf life.
- Keep battery capacity greater than 50% as often as possible
- Going from 100% to 0% to often will degrade your batteries’ life span. Only do this once a month to condition your battery
- Some batteries work better if they are slightly below 100% when fully charged
- There are folks who like to charge batteries from 40% to 90% and maintain that range.
- When charging or storing your phone, keep it in a moderate temperature environment. The higher the temperature, the faster it will lose a charge. Do not leave your batteries in the sun or in a hot car.
- Disconnect a battery from a charger after it reaches 100%.
- Try to never allow lithium ion batteries to hit 0% charge
- Wireless chargers are convenient but generate heat and wasted energy
- Power drop is very noticeable at temperatures lower than about 40F/4C.
- Around or below freezing, most batteries do not work well.
Lithium-ion batteries perform optimally at about normal room temperature (68F/20C). If a device warms to 86F/30C, its ability to hold a battery charge drops by about 20%. If the battery is used at 113F/45C — a temperature easily reached by devices that are heavily used or that are in the sun, battery capacity can be reduced by 50%.
If a device or battery feels hot, move to a cooler location, turn off unnecessary apps, or even turn off the device.
Do not store your phone in the bottom of a briefcase or purse, items may block or weaken cellular signals, wasting power.
A healthy, 100% full, lithium battery will self-discharge at about only 5% in the first 24 hours after disconnected from the charger — with only an additional 2% or so per month after that.
General Android SmartPhone Battery Life and iPhone Battery Life Tips
Here are some general tips that can help you maximize the battery performance of any Smartphone:
- Lower the brightness or backlight of your screen.
- Vibrate consumes a lot of power, disable it.
- When going to bed, switch your Smartphone to Airplane Mode.
- Disable push email or constant email checking. Set email synchronization to longer intervals.
- Reduce the number of email accounts checked.
- Avoid using the camera's flash.
- Turn off Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, NFC if you do not use these features. You may want to turn WiFi off whenever you leave the house.
- Download apps and music when plugged into power and WiFi at home.
- Uninstall any Apps you do not use. No sense in wasting power updating Apps constantly.
- Disable background applications.
- When in areas of low or no signal, turn off your Smartphone, or switch it to Airplane mode, otherwise it will use a lot of power looking for a signal.
- When leaving your phone on a desk or counter top at home or work, orient the Smartphone so that it receives the highest signal. You may need to stand it up vertically.
- Use your Smartphone’s Auto-Lock feature and set it to a low number.
- Disable Apps which constantly look up your present location. Google Maps, Facebook, etc.
Apple iOS 7 Battery Life Saving Tips
iOS 7 has many fancy new features which cause battery life to fall off. Here is a list of iOS 7 specific tips on how to restore your battery life under iOS 7.
- Reduce Background App Refresh, this allows Apps in the background to multitask. To disable this feature, select Settings > General > Background App Refresh.
- Turn off the fancy background motion parallax effect, known as Reduce Motion. Settings > General > Accessibility
- Disable Automatic Updating of Apps. Settings > iTunes and Apple Store
- Disable the constant refreshing of Spotlight Search results. Settings > General > Spotlight Search
- Disable AirDrop, which lets you share files at any time. Slide up at the bottom of your screen to turn this off.
Apple iPhone Battery life tips
- Apple has a page with additional iPhone battery life tips.
- Set the brightness of your screen to a lower level. Auto-Brightness may cause your iPhone to be brighter than needed, disable it
- Prevent the iPhone from constantly looking for WiFi networks. Switch off Ask to Join Networks
- Turn off Push notifications, or reduce the number of Apps sending Push notification
- Set your iPhone to Fetch new data hourly or manually
- Disable or reduce the number of Apps that use location services
- Disabling 3G or LTE helps save energy, but who wants a slower phone?
- Turning off sounds made when unlocking and sending e-mail will also help battery life.
- Apps that constantly run, and especially those that track your location such as Google Maps, Twitter, Textplus, Facebook, Pandora, and Skype also drain the battery.
- iOS 4 or newer users can Kill background tasks.
- Having your iPhone Auto-lock will save battery life. Set the Auto-Lock interval to as short a time as possible.
- Disable Siri’s Raise to Speak. General > Siri > Raise to Speak
- When storing your iPhone, Apple recommends charging it to 50%, before storing it.
Android Smartphone Battery Life Tips
Follow the same tips for the iPhone plus run an app like Battery Monitor to help pinpoint what is draining your smartphones battery. Juice Defender and Easy Battery Saver are also apps that help extend Android smartphone battery life.
- Remove unnecessary widgets. These are constantly updated, diminishing battery life.
- Disable vibrating when you tap keys, otherwise known as haptic feedback
- Dropbox allows you to disable Uploading when connected via cellular data. Upload only on WiFi
Never throw batteries in the trash. Recycle them.
We have covered a lot of ground with many different tips to extend your Smartphone’s battery life. Please try to use as many of these as possible, they will help you prevent the dreaded, low battery warning.