Smartphone Battery Life Tips for iPhone and Android Smartphones
Last Update: August 13, 2015
Battery life is the one characteristic which leads to many Smartphone complaints on how long a battery lasts or what functions and Apps draw too much power. Almost all users have run into situations where their phone runs out of power or when expected battery life is a lot shorter than expected. In this article we will help users extend the battery life of both Android Smartphones and iPhones.
iPhone batteries are designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 full charge and discharge cycles. This is roughly a year and a half of daily battery charging. Your battery will start to deteriorate, at which point, you may wish to replace your battery. Most batteries are designed to last 3 to 5 years, with the average gadget possibly becoming obsolete before then. It makes sense to pay a little attention to how you manage your Smartphone’s battery in order to lengthen the lifespan of your electronics.
- iPhone 11 speed at less than half the price! Time to upgrade that old iPhone 6, 7, 8.
Be sure to select the "$299.99 w/ a new line or account" option.
- 64GB Apple iPhone SE Smartphone for Sprint (2nd Generation)
- EarPods w/ Lightning Connector
- Lightning to USB Cable
- USB Power Adapter
- $50 Best Buy eGift Card
Posted: May 30, 2020 12:13 AM PDT
Sprint+T-Mobile are joining! Best price out of the 4 carriers. Time to switch.
Sprint has a Switch to Sprint New iPhone SE $5/Month Sale normally $16.67/month with 18 month lease. Free Next Day Shipping. NO activation fee. Excludes tax. In several colors, some colors are out of stock.
- New iPhone SE is as fast as the iPhone 11 Pro!
iPhone 11 $0/month with trade in. (Normally $29.17)
Sprint will even cover your switching fees up to $650/line.
- On approved credit
- At month 18, return it & upgrade to a new model, or buy it (via one lump payment or 6 monthly payments)
Sprint Unlimited Basic
- 1 line $60/month, 4 lines $100/month (With autopay discount)
- DVD quality SD Streaming 480p
- 500MB LTE Mobile hotspot
- Free Hulu
Unlimited talk/text, 2GB Plan only $40/month.
Sprint is merging with T-Mobile, so the network will only get better.
With approved credit, 18-month lease & new line of service or eligible upgrade. If you cancel early, remaining balance due.Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: May 29, 2020 6:28 AM PDT
- Fast charge your modern Qi-compatible Android phone at 10W (when using Samsung’s Fast Charging wall charger or a Quick Charge 2.0/3.0 charger) or your iPhone XS / XS Max at 7.5W. Also supports 5W standard wireless charging
- Compatible with Samsung S20, S9+ / S9, iPhone 11/11 Pro/Xs/XS Max/XR, and Other Qi-Enabled Devices
Posted: May 28, 2020 11:21 AM PDT
In Black or White.
- Connects wirelessly to your smartphone, tablet or other Bluetooth device
- 8 Hours playing time
- Aux input enables audio connections from other sources, increasing versatility of system
- USB port allows for software update to ensure ongoing Bluetooth device compatibility
Get Bose sound on the go from your smartphone and tablets.Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: May 27, 2020 8:11 AM PDT
- Samsung Note 10+ 256GB $749.99
- Fast-charging, long-lasting intelligent power and super speed processing outlast whatever you throw at Note 10+. S pen’s newest Evolution gives you the power of air gestures, a remote shutter and playlist button and handwriting-to-text, all in One Magic wand.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Octa-Core, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage
- 6.3" AMOLED (2280x1080), facial recognition, wireless charging
- Triple rear camera (12MP+12MP+16MP), Android 9.0 Pie
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Octa-Core Processor
Posted: May 26, 2020 8:07 AM PDT
Amazon has an Anker Soundcore Liberty Neo True Wireless Earbuds Sale, only $32.99 with Free Shipping. Expires Soon - Highly rated at 4.3 out of 5 stars.
- Soundcore is Anker’s audio brand, our signature sound is loved by 10 million+ people around the world. Liberty Neo is part of our Liberty series of true wireless earbuds.
- Expertly Tuned Graphene Drivers: As graphene’s earliest pioneers, we have used our experience to create a new driver for Liberty Neo wireless earbuds that takes full advantage of the material’s remarkable properties. 100 times harder than steel and 35% lighter than traditional driver diaphragms, it oscillates with extreme precision to give your music a wider soundstage with exceptional accuracy and crystal-clear clarity across the entire frequency range.
- Bass You Can Feel: Our exclusive BassUp technology analyzes your Audio’s low frequencies in real-time and instantly increases the bass by up to 43%. Stop simply listening to your music, and start really feeling it.
- Unbreakable Connectivity: An external antenna combines with Bluetooth 5. 0 to create an almost unbreakable link between your wireless earbuds and your device—even in busy places. And they feature
- IPX7 protection: sweat guard protection creates a watertight barrier for the wireless earbuds against rain and sweat. It even resists water from the tap when you’re washing away the sweat after a hardcore workout.
- Rock-Solid Fit: Sound core's proprietary Grip Fit technology enables wireless earbuds to sit securely and comfortably in your ears—simply slide in and twist to lock. Take on an intense workout or navigate city streets knowing your earbuds will stay firmly in place.
- Ultra-lightweight: Each earbud weighs just 0. 2 oz to ensure you enjoy a fatigue-free experience, no matter how long you listen.
- Power a week of listening: Using our Anker Heritage and high-efficiency power cells, Liberty Neo delivers over 5 hours of wireless playtime from a single charge and an extra 15 hours from the compact charging case.
Posted: May 26, 2020 8:00 AM PDT
Recharging your Smartphone Battery Correctly
Following these tips will help maximize your batteries’ capacity and life span. Batteries will eventually wear out, but there is a lot you can do to extend its shelf life.
- Keep battery capacity greater than 50% as often as possible
- Going from 100% to 0% to often will degrade your batteries’ life span. Only do this once a month to condition your battery
- Some batteries work better if they are slightly below 100% when fully charged
- There are folks who like to charge batteries from 40% to 90% and maintain that range.
- When charging or storing your phone, keep it in a moderate temperature environment. The higher the temperature, the faster it will lose a charge. Do not leave your batteries in the sun or in a hot car.
- Disconnect a battery from a charger after it reaches 100%.
- Try to never allow lithium ion batteries to hit 0% charge
- Wireless chargers are convenient but generate heat and wasted energy
- Power drop is very noticeable at temperatures lower than about 40F/4C.
- Around or below freezing, most batteries do not work well.
Lithium-ion batteries perform optimally at about normal room temperature (68F/20C). If a device warms to 86F/30C, its ability to hold a battery charge drops by about 20%. If the battery is used at 113F/45C — a temperature easily reached by devices that are heavily used or that are in the sun, battery capacity can be reduced by 50%.
If a device or battery feels hot, move to a cooler location, turn off unnecessary apps, or even turn off the device.
Do not store your phone in the bottom of a briefcase or purse, items may block or weaken cellular signals, wasting power.
A healthy, 100% full, lithium battery will self-discharge at about only 5% in the first 24 hours after disconnected from the charger — with only an additional 2% or so per month after that.
General Android SmartPhone Battery Life and iPhone Battery Life Tips
Here are some general tips that can help you maximize the battery performance of any Smartphone:
- Lower the brightness or backlight of your screen.
- Vibrate consumes a lot of power, disable it.
- When going to bed, switch your Smartphone to Airplane Mode.
- Disable push email or constant email checking. Set email synchronization to longer intervals.
- Reduce the number of email accounts checked.
- Avoid using the camera's flash.
- Turn off Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, NFC if you do not use these features. You may want to turn WiFi off whenever you leave the house.
- Download apps and music when plugged into power and WiFi at home.
- Uninstall any Apps you do not use. No sense in wasting power updating Apps constantly.
- Disable background applications.
- When in areas of low or no signal, turn off your Smartphone, or switch it to Airplane mode, otherwise it will use a lot of power looking for a signal.
- When leaving your phone on a desk or counter top at home or work, orient the Smartphone so that it receives the highest signal. You may need to stand it up vertically.
- Use your Smartphone’s Auto-Lock feature and set it to a low number.
- Disable Apps which constantly look up your present location. Google Maps, Facebook, etc.
Apple iOS 7 Battery Life Saving Tips
iOS 7 has many fancy new features which cause battery life to fall off. Here is a list of iOS 7 specific tips on how to restore your battery life under iOS 7.
- Reduce Background App Refresh, this allows Apps in the background to multitask. To disable this feature, select Settings > General > Background App Refresh.
- Turn off the fancy background motion parallax effect, known as Reduce Motion. Settings > General > Accessibility
- Disable Automatic Updating of Apps. Settings > iTunes and Apple Store
- Disable the constant refreshing of Spotlight Search results. Settings > General > Spotlight Search
- Disable AirDrop, which lets you share files at any time. Slide up at the bottom of your screen to turn this off.
Apple iPhone Battery life tips
- Apple has a page with additional iPhone battery life tips.
- Set the brightness of your screen to a lower level. Auto-Brightness may cause your iPhone to be brighter than needed, disable it
- Prevent the iPhone from constantly looking for WiFi networks. Switch off Ask to Join Networks
- Turn off Push notifications, or reduce the number of Apps sending Push notification
- Set your iPhone to Fetch new data hourly or manually
- Disable or reduce the number of Apps that use location services
- Disabling 3G or LTE helps save energy, but who wants a slower phone?
- Turning off sounds made when unlocking and sending e-mail will also help battery life.
- Apps that constantly run, and especially those that track your location such as Google Maps, Twitter, Textplus, Facebook, Pandora, and Skype also drain the battery.
- iOS 4 or newer users can Kill background tasks.
- Having your iPhone Auto-lock will save battery life. Set the Auto-Lock interval to as short a time as possible.
- Disable Siri’s Raise to Speak. General > Siri > Raise to Speak
- When storing your iPhone, Apple recommends charging it to 50%, before storing it.
Android Smartphone Battery Life Tips
Follow the same tips for the iPhone plus run an app like Battery Monitor to help pinpoint what is draining your smartphones battery. Juice Defender and Easy Battery Saver are also apps that help extend Android smartphone battery life.
- Remove unnecessary widgets. These are constantly updated, diminishing battery life.
- Disable vibrating when you tap keys, otherwise known as haptic feedback
- Dropbox allows you to disable Uploading when connected via cellular data. Upload only on WiFi
Never throw batteries in the trash. Recycle them.
We have covered a lot of ground with many different tips to extend your Smartphone’s battery life. Please try to use as many of these as possible, they will help you prevent the dreaded, low battery warning.