Smartphone Battery Life Tips for iPhone and Android Smartphones
Last Update: August 13, 2015
Battery life is the one characteristic which leads to many Smartphone complaints on how long a battery lasts or what functions and Apps draw too much power. Almost all users have run into situations where their phone runs out of power or when expected battery life is a lot shorter than expected. In this article we will help users extend the battery life of both Android Smartphones and iPhones.
iPhone batteries are designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 full charge and discharge cycles. This is roughly a year and a half of daily battery charging. Your battery will start to deteriorate, at which point, you may wish to replace your battery. Most batteries are designed to last 3 to 5 years, with the average gadget possibly becoming obsolete before then. It makes sense to pay a little attention to how you manage your Smartphone’s battery in order to lengthen the lifespan of your electronics.
- The 20W USB-C port has enough power to charge an iPhone 12 to 50% in just 30 minutes. Also equipped with a 12W USB port if you need to charge a second device.
PowerIQ amp-adjustment technology intelligently identifies your device to deliver its fastest possible charge. High-speed-Charging Technology: Anker's exclusive PowerIQ and VoltageBoost combine to deliver the fastest possible charge for any device. Qualcomm.
Anker 10,000mAh Specifications
- Dual USB ports
- Input: 5V / 2A(max)
- Output: 5V / 3A(total)
Posted: September 21, 2023 7:00 AM PDT
For Walmart Family Mobile. Plans from $24.88/month for 5GB Data - Unlimited talk/text
- iPhone 13 speed at less than half the price! Time to upgrade that old iPhone
- 64GB Apple iPhone SE Smartphone (3rd Generation)
- 5G Network Support
- 13Mpixel camera
Posted: September 20, 2023 11:59 PM PDT
- 5G speeds for all. Stream your favorite shows, download music, and video chat instantly without any lag.
- 50 MP camera system with Dual Capture. Take stunning pictures, portraits, and close-ups—even capture video and photos with rear and front cameras at once.
- Up to two-day battery
- Compatible with all major 4G U.S. carriers, including Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. It also works with prepaid carriers, including Cricket Wireless, Metro by T-Mobile, Simple Mobile, Total Wireless, Tracfone, Net10, Mint, TracFone, and H2O
Posted: September 20, 2023 11:59 PM PDT
Expiring Today: $10/Mo Red Pocket Prepaid Plan 5GB/month for 1 Yr Sale $120.00 + Free Shipping
Back to school sale. eBay (red pocket store) has a $10/Mo Red Pocket Prepaid Plan 5GB/month for 1 Yr Sale, $120.00 Free Shipping. Expires: 9/21/2023 - Highly Rated at 4.5 out of 5 stars.
8GB version $190
- Prepay to get 1 Year service at a big discount
- Uses same network as a major carrier
We offer no-contract mobile phone and internet service on the nation's best networks. Keep your phone, keep your number, and save money with Red Pocket Mobile.
Red Pocket Mobile is proud to be an American-owned company helping real people save money, every day.Sales tax in: Most States
Posted: September 20, 2023 6:59 AM PDT
Time to switch to a better carrier with a new iPhone 15. Up to $1000 off iPhone 15, 15 Plus, 15 Pro, 15Pro Max 5G - AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile when you activate service and trade in select phones. Deals are way better than expected, time to upgrade and switch carriers. If you have anything older than an iPhone X, to time to upgrade. Shipping soon.
- iPhone 15 has 5G, better battery, better camera, satellite emergency, crash detection and more!
The best deals are when trading in an old phone. If you do not have one, you can buy one on eBay and save a ton. Buy an Samsung S20FE 5G for $160 and get $830 trade in value on AT&T! Buying a used iPhone is more worrisome with many having replaced screen using 3rd parties.
Wireless companies are giving phones away in exchange for locking you in for bill credits each month.
Unlock your credit report if you locked it to pass credit checks.
Special iPhone 15 Promotions when you Switch
- AT&T - Get up to $1000 off iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max - up to $830 off iPhone 15/ iPhone 15 Plus with eligible trade-in when you purchase on an installment plan, with an eligible AT&T unlimited plan (speed restrictions apply)
- Verizon: Get up to $800 off this device when you trade in. New line required. Plus $200 when you switch.
- Xfinity: Save on iPhone 15 when you switch to Xfinity.
- T-Mobile: Get an iPhone 15 Pro ON US via 24 mo. bill credits when you trade in an eligible device on Magenta® MAX. Plus, Apple TV+ is included with Magenta MAX.
Some Older phones are available with less trade in. Trading in is a lot easier than selling your phone on eBay or Craigslist.
New iPhones 15:
- iPhone 15: Starts at $799 (128GB), $899 (256GB), $1099 (512GB)
- iPhone 15 Plus: Starts at $899 (128GB), $999 (256GB), $1099 (512GB)
- iPhone 15 Pro: Starts at $999 (128GB), $1,099 (256GB), $1,299 (512GB), $1499 (1TB)
- iPhone 15 Pro Max: Starts at $1,199 (256GB), $1,399 (512GB), $1599 (1TB)
AT&T Unlimited Starter Plan
- 1 Line $65/mon for Unlimited Talk, Text, Web, standard definition Streaming, Max 3Mbps data speed, 3GB Hotspot
- 5G Access
- Standard Mobile Security
- 5 lines for $150
- Plus tax & fees
- To qualify for $1000 credit, minimum Trade-In value must be $230 or higher after device condition questions have been answered
- Eligible devices:
- Apple iPhone: 12 Pro Max, 13, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max, 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, 14 Pro Max
- Samsung Galaxy: Z Flip4, Z Fold4, S22 Ultra 5G, S23, S23+, S23 Ultra
- Google: 7 Pro
- Eligible devices:
- To qualify for $830 credit, minimum Trade-In value must be $130-$229 after device condition questions have been answered
- Eligible devices:
- Apple iPhone: 11, 11 Pro, iPhone 12mini, 11 Pro Max, 12, 12 Pro, 13 mini
- Samsung Galaxy: S20, S20 5G, S20 FE, S20 FE 5G, S20+, S20+ 5G, S20 Ultra 5G, Note20, Note20 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 Ultra 5G, S21 5G, S21+ 5G, S21 FE 5G, Fold, Fold 5G, Z Flip3 5G, S21 Ultra 5G, S22 5G, S22+ 5G, ZFold2 5G, Z Fold3 5G
- Google: Pixel 6 Pro, 7
- OTHER: OnePlus 10 Pro
- Eligible devices:
Verizon Unlimited Welcome Plan
- 1 Line $45 for Unlimited Talk, Text, Web, DVD Quality Streaming
- 5G Nationwide
- No Hotspot
- Plus tax & fees
Verizon Special Trade-in Offer: Monthly price reflects net monthly payment, after Apple instant trade-in credit at checkout, and Verizon monthly bill credits applied over 24 months. Customer must remain in the Verizon Device Payment Program for 24 months to receive the full benefit of the Verizon bill credits. Bill credits may take 1-2 bill cycles to appear. If it takes two cycles for bill credits to appear, you’ll see the credit for the first cycle on your second bill in addition to that month’s credit. Requires purchase and activation of a new iPhone 15 mini, iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Pro, or iPhone 15 Pro Max with the Verizon Device Payment Program at 0% APR for 24 months, subject to carrier credit qualification, and iPhone availability and limits.
T-Mobile Essentials Plan
- 1 line $60/month, Get 3rd line free
- Unlimited Talk Text and Web
- Unlimited 3G hotspot
- DVD quality streaming
Posted: September 20, 2023 6:00 AM PDT
Big price drop. Amazon has a Universal Cell Phone Holder Mount Sale. $7.99 after instant discount and by checking coupon, Free Shipping $25 or with Prime. Rated 4.3 out of 5 stars with over 10K reviews. Normally $20+tax+shipping at amazon.
- It is illegal to hold your phone while driving in California and many other states
Get that phone out of your hand and into a holder where it belongs. We have several iOtties and find they work great. This is reviewed well, not a cheap knock off.
- Flexible: You can adjust your comfortable viewing angles due to 360 degrees of rotating ball joint.You can adjust your comfortable distance between you and the holder due to telescopic arm.
Posted: September 18, 2023 6:59 AM PDT
Recharging your Smartphone Battery Correctly
Following these tips will help maximize your batteries’ capacity and life span. Batteries will eventually wear out, but there is a lot you can do to extend its shelf life.
- Keep battery capacity greater than 50% as often as possible
- Going from 100% to 0% to often will degrade your batteries’ life span. Only do this once a month to condition your battery
- Some batteries work better if they are slightly below 100% when fully charged
- There are folks who like to charge batteries from 40% to 90% and maintain that range.
- When charging or storing your phone, keep it in a moderate temperature environment. The higher the temperature, the faster it will lose a charge. Do not leave your batteries in the sun or in a hot car.
- Disconnect a battery from a charger after it reaches 100%.
- Try to never allow lithium ion batteries to hit 0% charge
- Wireless chargers are convenient but generate heat and wasted energy
- Power drop is very noticeable at temperatures lower than about 40F/4C.
- Around or below freezing, most batteries do not work well.
Lithium-ion batteries perform optimally at about normal room temperature (68F/20C). If a device warms to 86F/30C, its ability to hold a battery charge drops by about 20%. If the battery is used at 113F/45C — a temperature easily reached by devices that are heavily used or that are in the sun, battery capacity can be reduced by 50%.
If a device or battery feels hot, move to a cooler location, turn off unnecessary apps, or even turn off the device.
Do not store your phone in the bottom of a briefcase or purse, items may block or weaken cellular signals, wasting power.
A healthy, 100% full, lithium battery will self-discharge at about only 5% in the first 24 hours after disconnected from the charger — with only an additional 2% or so per month after that.
General Android SmartPhone Battery Life and iPhone Battery Life Tips
Here are some general tips that can help you maximize the battery performance of any Smartphone:
- Lower the brightness or backlight of your screen.
- Vibrate consumes a lot of power, disable it.
- When going to bed, switch your Smartphone to Airplane Mode.
- Disable push email or constant email checking. Set email synchronization to longer intervals.
- Reduce the number of email accounts checked.
- Avoid using the camera's flash.
- Turn off Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, NFC if you do not use these features. You may want to turn WiFi off whenever you leave the house.
- Download apps and music when plugged into power and WiFi at home.
- Uninstall any Apps you do not use. No sense in wasting power updating Apps constantly.
- Disable background applications.
- When in areas of low or no signal, turn off your Smartphone, or switch it to Airplane mode, otherwise it will use a lot of power looking for a signal.
- When leaving your phone on a desk or counter top at home or work, orient the Smartphone so that it receives the highest signal. You may need to stand it up vertically.
- Use your Smartphone’s Auto-Lock feature and set it to a low number.
- Disable Apps which constantly look up your present location. Google Maps, Facebook, etc.
Apple iOS 7 Battery Life Saving Tips
iOS 7 has many fancy new features which cause battery life to fall off. Here is a list of iOS 7 specific tips on how to restore your battery life under iOS 7.
- Reduce Background App Refresh, this allows Apps in the background to multitask. To disable this feature, select Settings > General > Background App Refresh.
- Turn off the fancy background motion parallax effect, known as Reduce Motion. Settings > General > Accessibility
- Disable Automatic Updating of Apps. Settings > iTunes and Apple Store
- Disable the constant refreshing of Spotlight Search results. Settings > General > Spotlight Search
- Disable AirDrop, which lets you share files at any time. Slide up at the bottom of your screen to turn this off.
Apple iPhone Battery life tips
- Apple has a page with additional iPhone battery life tips.
- Set the brightness of your screen to a lower level. Auto-Brightness may cause your iPhone to be brighter than needed, disable it
- Prevent the iPhone from constantly looking for WiFi networks. Switch off Ask to Join Networks
- Turn off Push notifications, or reduce the number of Apps sending Push notification
- Set your iPhone to Fetch new data hourly or manually
- Disable or reduce the number of Apps that use location services
- Disabling 3G or LTE helps save energy, but who wants a slower phone?
- Turning off sounds made when unlocking and sending e-mail will also help battery life.
- Apps that constantly run, and especially those that track your location such as Google Maps, Twitter, Textplus, Facebook, Pandora, and Skype also drain the battery.
- iOS 4 or newer users can Kill background tasks.
- Having your iPhone Auto-lock will save battery life. Set the Auto-Lock interval to as short a time as possible.
- Disable Siri’s Raise to Speak. General > Siri > Raise to Speak
- When storing your iPhone, Apple recommends charging it to 50%, before storing it.
Android Smartphone Battery Life Tips
Follow the same tips for the iPhone plus run an app like Battery Monitor to help pinpoint what is draining your smartphones battery. Juice Defender and Easy Battery Saver are also apps that help extend Android smartphone battery life.
- Remove unnecessary widgets. These are constantly updated, diminishing battery life.
- Disable vibrating when you tap keys, otherwise known as haptic feedback
- Dropbox allows you to disable Uploading when connected via cellular data. Upload only on WiFi
Never throw batteries in the trash. Recycle them.
We have covered a lot of ground with many different tips to extend your Smartphone’s battery life. Please try to use as many of these as possible, they will help you prevent the dreaded, low battery warning.