How to Buy the iPhone 7 without Lining Up
Everyone has been talking about the iPhone 7. From websites to TV programs to radio, Apple has gotten nonstop free press. Two weeks before this device was launched, Apple diehards have already starting lining up in front of Apple Stores. Why is it generating so much buzz?
- Apple is great at being secretive
- First iPhone with a bigger screen
- Brand new iOS 10
- Faster processor
- Better camera
- Longer battery life
- Anyone with an iPhone 4S or older will upgrade
Apple fans had September 9, 2014 on their calendars and could not wait to see what the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus was They also have September 19th marked on their calendars, the day they can purchase this hot new Smartphone. Before you buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, there are many tasks you need to complete before you purchase the new iPhone. You need to understand the costs involved, and because you will be stuck for probably 2 years, examine whether it is worthwhile switching to another company.
- Check iPhone upgrade eligibility with your wireless carrier – you will pay a premium if you have not fulfilled your contract
o Download the Apple Store app
o Click the Upgrade Your iPhone to see eligibility
- Switching carriers – is your wireless coverage dismal? Switch to another company? Check network signal coverage maps
- Wireless plan – are there newer plans that are more advantageous? Make sure you finished your commitment.
- Research the available Smartphone purchase plans – standard two year agreement vs upgradable Smartphone plans (AT&T Next, Verizon Edge, T-Mobile Jump)
- Credit – is your credit in order? Pay your bills ahead of time
- Call your credit card and notify them charges are coming - We've had a fraud alert popup trying to order new items.
- Selling existing phone – read Selling Unwanted Electronics and Smartphones: 6 ways to trade in and get cash
o You can sell your iPhone 5 or 5S and pay for your iPhone 6
o It is best to lock in your trade in price before the iPhone 6 announcement, otherwise it will fall by up to 20%
- Consider giving your older iPhone to a family member and adding it to a family plan
- Determine how much storage you need – 16GB to 128GB – can you delete unneeded items to free up space?
- Consider Android – should you switch instead? Android vs iPhone comparison
After taking care of those tasks, you need to prepare your phone to be upgraded. Here some tasks that need to be done:
- Remove unnecessary pictures, music, apps
- Backup your Smartphone – contacts, pictures, music, apps, settings
o iPhone users can backup using iTunes and iCloud
- Make note of voicemail password, screen unlock password, Apple ID login and password
- You will need to know the last 4 digits of your social security number as well as your billing zip code to upgrade devices. Apple ID should be ready to go
- Load your credit card into your account
Ways to Purchase the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus on Day One Everybody wants to buy this iPhone on the first day and start using it immediately. As a crazy person who lined up for hours in the past, we swore we would never do it again. Here are some tips to getting the iPhone 6 on day one without lining up.
- Pre-order the iPhone 6 from the Apple Store website exactly at midnight Pacific time 9/12/2014
- If it is overloaded, try the Apple Store App
- You can also try pre-ordering at the four major wireless carrier’s website
- Visit your local Apple Store right after lunch, and you should not encounter a line, although you might be limited in your selection
- Line up early 9/19/2014 at your local Apple store, AT&T Wireless, Best Buy, Sprint, Target, T-Mobile, or Verizon Wireless. Keep in mind that the Apple Store will get far more phones than other outlets
After Release Date
- Local Apple Stores post their inventory by 11pm the night before. You can verify they have the model you want and then line up in the morning. Lucky folks will get a reservation for the unit and have until the end of that day to purchase it.
Conclusion The iPhone 6 will be an instant success for Apple. There exists a ton of pent up demand for the device. Older users of iPhone 3 and 4’s have ample reason to upgrade. We have covered everything from backing up your device to selling it as well as strategies to avoid standing in line. Do you have any other suggestions?